RobC
Members-
Posts
391 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by RobC
-
I hear Jo Whiley on Radio 1 fell asleep during it...
-
I concurr. Either overheating (not surprising at the moment!) or faulty memory. The one other cause could be a faulty PSU.
-
Is that as bad as mentioning Jehova, or worse?
-
Calm Down Dear, It's Just A Commercial
RobC replied to StewartKnight's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Ok, and having just viewed it on the admin account, I can see why it got such a high score! 8O -
Calm Down Dear, It's Just A Commercial
RobC replied to StewartKnight's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Christ! That page made Symantec Web Security throw a fit - one of the highest DDR scores I've ever seen on a webpage! (Apart from the day someone on techcomedy.com titled their post F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck F*ck, but without the astrisks...) -
I know it can be done, as Fujitsu have created a User Admin page for us that allows us to create/delete & edit users via a webpage. I'll try & see if I can view the source code & post some or all of it on here tomorrow.
-
Tarq, the worst part of the Foo's set was knowing that James Brown was playing the King Tut's tent at the same time, but other than that they were astounding, as always! If you're heading up this way for a holiday, I'll dig out some good hotels/B&B's & PM them to you. We're in a good place for getting to/from both Inverness & Aberdeen and there's some cracking golf courses in the area if that's your thing...
-
Woohoo! Back to work today after my week-&-a-bit holiday, topped off with my first visit to the T in the Park festival. What can I say... 69,000 drunken Scots in 25-30 degree heat rocking out to the Foo Fighters & James Brown. :twisted: The Bacardi bar was a god-send, and my sunburn isn't too bad. Right, now to scrape together the cash for next year's tickets. Was anyone else there?
-
Well, I came over to Edugeek from the Schools-IT newsgroup simply because they had just turned into a bunch of whiners! Seriously, a simple topic about writing reports turned into a 150+ post flame war! Sad really. But anyway, this site does everything we need it to do!
-
Ok, a couple of possibles here... Firstly, you've already posted the link to your solution. Using the AUP logon acceptance program in the downloads forum. The only problem is... how to have different AUPs for staff and pupils. Two separate installs! All you need to do is put the relevant .rtf or .txt file in each install, then either use separate Start Menu's for staff & pupils using Folder Redirection, or knock up a suitable logon script to work out who's logging on & run the correct install. Well, it was just a thought...
-
Well, our Single Status Agreement has been finalised & I'm getting put up to almost 16k as of 1st October, which is about a £2500 rise! The only downside is that all the other members fo the technicians department are getting pay cuts!
-
I can trump that. I went in fit & came out with a knackered back & shoulder. Never have been told what's actually wrong with it other than it hurts like f%$k.
-
One thing I would recommend, whichever mail server you go for, is to limit the number of Recipients that the kids can send to. We had big problems in the past with kids sending stupid chain mails to huge swathes of the Global Address Book (covers every school in Moray, including the primaries!) until I got Fujitsu to limit them to five recipients. Also, we have never told the kids this - we've just left them to figure it out for themselves.
-
Altec, I would put money on that being a ruse to get you to buy 2k3 off them.
-
I managed to pick up two cable testers on Ebay for 1p each. Check this one out... Ebay Cable Testers Simply do a search on ebay for Network Tester. You end up paying around a fiver with postage, and it takes a week or two as it comes from Hong Kong, but it works fine with RJ11 & RJ45 terminated cables & doesn't break the budget.
-
You can run an IP phone system on a data network, but you will ideally need switches capable of QoS (Quality of Service) to make sure that no packets are dropped or delayed. We've got a fully IP-based phone system running on our school network based on Avaya equipment. As for cameras, I've basically said that for our new school building (in 2008, hopefully) we must have proper IP security cameras as at the moment we use an Astraguard system which uses old full length ISA cards (remember them...? ) to receive the signal from dedicated cabling (BNC terminators). The software is DOS based & running on P2 systems, which fall over VERY regularly!
-
David Moss. IIRC, he's an IT Co-ordinator.
-
Russ, put me down for How Do You Do... It, and Scripts... Never actually modded before though, so any tips would be appreciated.
-
If you subscribe to the Windows IT Pro website, you can get it as an e-mail mag. I stopped my subscription recently as I couldn't afford it. I might look at restarting it in a few months as it was damn useful. (Sub gives you access to all the articles within the site.) Current subs: PC Pro IT Week (When they bother to send it!) Computer Trade Shopper (Free) Microscope (Free) The last two are trade mags from when I ran my own PC business.
-
Just tried at home and it's worked fine. I'll attack my cache with a hammer in the morning.
-
Tells me the archive is damaged and cannot be opened...
-
I'm definately going to be watching out for this letter, ,and everything in it certainly gets my backing! And Russ... BCS - British Computer Society?
-
I use UserManagemeNT by Tools4Ever. They've actually got a newer version out, but it is a nightmare of complexity. With this version, you can import a .csv or .txt file with names & any other info you want & have it create the usernames &/or passwords which it will then dump into a new .csv file for you. If anyone needs more info, PM me, cause I don't think you can download it from the site anymore.
-
Actually, I might try that for a laugh. Oh, wait... There's no CD-ROM
-
Oh my god! Someone's just handed me an old laptop: An RM NB400! Just laoded it up & it's a 486 CPU (running on its FAST setting!) with 4Mb RAM. OS is Windows 3.1 and it's got Word 2, Excel 2 & Word 6 along with Taipai for Windows 3.0!!! The best part is, it's got a CRT output, plus Keyboard & Mouse outputs on PS/2 so I managed to get it hooked up to my 17" monitor. That's the first time I've ever seen Win3.1 on that size of screen. (And it actually looks pretty good too!)
