Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. Actually it seemed to update the owner as appropiate on the files automatically when I checked this morning. But thanks for the info as it may come in useful at some point (I'm learning Netware as I go along!)
  2. A staff member has had a change of surname (Got married) - So I've renamed the e-directory object, and also the Groupwise object (Then synced them together). Also renamed the home directory and changed the path as appropiate under the option in C1. My question is do I now need to change the owner on all the files within the users home directory to the new username and if so, how?
  3. Worked after I added the following installers: http://www.desq.co.uk/nln_downloads/street_screenreader.zip
  4. Those didn't provide any joy, a MSM file basically.
  5. http://go.nln.ac.uk/?req={E4721B90-3A09-46DB-B830-D3E029C1FDE9}&prov=aclProv2254 Can ANYONE get this working without a message coming up saying no Text to Speech engine installed? Baffling me a bit as TTS engine is built into XP!
  6. Well it worked Probably not the most effective way to do things but if they're ghosted at factory using our image at least we don't have to be pressured into getting loads of new images built during the summer.
  7. I've set up a shiny new base image on a Pentium 4 3ghz Dual Core machine (Hyperthreading?) Anyway we're getting some new Intel Core 2 Duo machines in and I was wondering if I should expect to face any issues relating to the tranfer of this image to the new machines. I have changed the disk controllers to Standard ones. SID is not relevant on our network setup. Thanks
  8. Hi, Trying to image some workstations using Zen imaging and the process is taking DAYS on SATA drives. As soon as we connect up a IDE drive, the imaging speeds along! Any tips? Zenworks 7...
  9. Interesting comments - Thanks. Think the boss of all the ordering has found the best deal etc using some fancy system he has but for home users I found it for £20.99 a stick (1gb) £20.99 delivered at My Memory. (My Media PC will be happy!) We've ordered 1 stick to test compatibility, used Kingston in the past so sticking to it! The machines are mainly Intel motherboards which seem happy enough with Kingston. Hopefully will improve performance by sticking in 1 1gb PC3200 module rather than simply adding to the existing stick of 512mb PC2700.
  10. We need to place an order for either some 512mb or 1gb PC3200 sticks of DDR RAM (1gb if the price isn't much higher than 512mb). Need about 30 sticks, decent brand (Kingston etc). Any ideas on the best suppliers?
  11. Bingo And people criticize supermarkets for using too much packaging! Plus the cost of sending it City Link must actually outweigh the cost of the mouse! Maybe I'll turn it into a little grave for the dead mouse now...
  12. I'm keeping my mouth shut till 3 because this thread is going in quite a whacky direction!
  13. Half a point. There is a physical piece of hardware enclosed though!
  14. Answer revealed at 3pm
  15. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me yesterday afternoon as the exams still didn't work in the non Deep Freeze room! Luckily they booked a spare room where the exams could be moved till. This time a lot of students got into the exam, then Promissor just quit itself! I reckon it is the Edexcel account on our server causing the problems as in Deep Freeze rooms we use a pcuser account. Is there any way to see the permissions for the pcuser account on the server and copy these permissions to the Edexcel account on the server (Windows 2000 server)?
  16. I KNEW IT! Turns out someone in the department changed the password and failed to let anyone else know of the change Always a good word 'Communication'
  17. Hi, Just a general question really as I can't find our network man at the moment - We have a Promissor server and it has a Catuser windows account on it - I know the other week it said 'This password will expire in x days' and sure enough this morning the exam team can't log in using it! So would Edexcel have changed this password via remote access somehow or do they not do that? It is just the previous password sounded like a typical Edexcel one!
  18. Might help someone Crawshaw school (Pudsey, Leeds) - ICT Technician Crawshaw School Specialist Humanities College Pudsey Leeds West Yorkshire Also I am told the Freeston Business and Enterprise College (Normanton, Wakefield) have a IT Tech vacancy going (I applied for a position up there in late 2006 and didn't get invited for interview!), can't find any details on the web though! www.wakefield.gov.uk: Freeston Business & Enterprise College
  19. My Epson R220 at home is fantastic. I still have 2 drawers full of compatibles from when they were £4 a set off Disk Depot but they might have gone up these days?!
  20. I've got enough things on at summer without updating their piece of rubbish on 200 odd computers! (Deep Freeze too so I have to unthaw, install, thaw which is annoying) I never saw a problem with the good old pen and paper method of doing exams!
  21. IE7 is a new one to me, I must check that out! (But then we have no problem in the Study Centre who got upgraded to IE7). I've had to resort to creating a Novell user with full admin rights to a PC hoping this will cure any problems! The trouble is we do the dummy tests and they run flawless, then we run the real ones and they bugger up!!
  22. Never mind - It is under 'Restrictions - Address Restrictions' (I was hunting down a page where you could just select workstation objects!)
  23. This may seem like a really simple question but here goes: We use a combination of Novell 6.5 and Zen 7. We have a context 'Workstations' with a sub context 'SF02'. In this sub context we have a user called 'Edexcel'. Also in this sub context are a number of objects that correspond to the workstations in this room (SF02PC01 etc). Basically I want to restrict the 'Edexcel' account so that it can only be used by the workstations in this room (Therefore in exact terms the workstation objects in this sub context). Any ideas?
  24. My teachers used to give me hundreds of these 'past exam papers', they went straight in my bag and never saw the light of day again until I binned them after the exams (This is going back a few years now!!) Where I work at the moment it isn't so much of a problem as it is mainly non exam based courses, but when I was a student I always just used to go to the respective websites and view the exam papers, answer papers and examiner comments on screen. Still passed everything (Now should I print out the electronic copy of that MCSE book I've been reading :D)
  25. We have machines in a certain room set up to open each folder in its own window in XP Folder Options. How do you set it so each of these windows always opens up in a maximized state?
×
×
  • Create New...