googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Right I've added the Promissor folder to the Zen File Rights list with 'Full Control' so that should be that sorted (Since all previous rooms have been Deep Freeze I automatically assumed I would only have to give the Full Control permissions on each local machine rather than a central entry in Zen). I think Flash is fairly up to date (Certainly more recent than other rooms!). I've asked the Exams manager to book a few mock tests, will Edexcel provide those fairly easily?
-
We've just run a Promissor session in a computer suite, this is the first time we've used this suite for testing although we have used other rooms without issue (Deep Freeze). The issues in no particular order: "Error 5209:Cannot load SitePersistence.dll to verify Administrator version number. Please contact Promissor customer support." One machine logged out a user mid test On many machines one answer or an image would not appear, but once 'Previous' and then 'Next' was clicked the missing stuff would appear. Disk space low/Invalid data path messages even though they had a connection to the correct data path folder and there is certainly enough disk space! The only thing I can think of that is different is this suite uses Zen and dynamic user profiles which lock the hard drive down so nothing can be written to C:\ unless the folder is in the policy exclusion list. Could the Promissor folder need adding to the exclusions list? Help!
-
We had a beer festival near work a few months ago. When I say near I actually mean it was held in one of the buildings work partially own, so it was quite handy (Half day work, half day booze)
-
I remember jumping from the RC with the Windows Classic interface to the RC with the new Luna interface and I just sat there for a few hours and thought 'Wow'!
-
O well, sun burnt and back to work tomorrow :(
googlemad replied to tech-man's topic in General Chat
It has made me realize just how cool it would be to have Monday off every week... I've spent most of the extended weekend playing a certain computer game with the initials G T and A mind -
Well I updated the Novell client using remote control, next reboot and the thing starts looping at the XP splash so I'm now forced to pop up there anyway! Will have to remember my XP CD and utility CD as I suspect something is faulty somewhere hardware wise.
-
Argh! I fixed a PC last week that was coming up with a error at startup 'Winlogon.exe Application Error' - 'The instruction at........' If you click OK or cancel the machine blue screens. If you ignore the error the machine works fine! Last week I reimaged but I'm not at the centre today so I can't do that, is there any solutions that might cure the demon?
-
Thanks, I created my own temporary fix for now by running a batch file at logoff and shutdown/restart to nuke the ini file. Also another suggestion from me would be to 'lock' any actions on the screen until the user had agreed.
-
Is there any way at all to disable the feature where it stops showing the AUP after agree? Want to install this on mobile devices so the AUP needs to be shown upon every login. Thanks
-
Is there any free way of displaying a disclaimer with Agree/Disagree or Yes/No options before Vista gets to the desktop?
-
I'll probably knock together a basic links page in Frontpage. It won't look fancy but the main thing is it will work!!!
-
Apparently Internet Explorer 7 isn't compatible at all. Great. They did provide me with a interesting 'Multi Internet Explorer' collection which installs previous versions of IE without clashing with the already installed version which I've added to my toolbox () but I'm not putting that on hundreds of computers! Think I'll just go down the extract the files off the CD method!!!
-
A member of staff has got a Travel and Tourism book, and it comes with a CD with all the content to accompany the book (joy!) The idea is you stick the CD in and Internet Explorer loads up a flash presentation where you click the buttons to load the content (Word docs etc). The problem is, the only button that does anything is the 'Exit' button! Interestingly in Firefox I can click the buttons and get prompted if I want to open or download the relevant documents. Any ideas? I've tried a few Active scripting options but with no joy.
-
Turns out the drive was never at fault, but the IDE cable was buggered and the partition table had died. I don't understand computers at times! Thanks anyway
-
What do all the different versions of Vista do
googlemad replied to SimpleSi's topic in Windows Vista
Isn't there something in the license agreement about using XP Home in a 'corporate' environment? Maybe there isn't, who knows! -
I installed Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard on a machine the other day, and it wanted me to activate. Not a problem I thought... ...Activated over the Internet and apparently all our licenses are in use (How does it know that?!), but we can transfer a license from another computer... ...Except the option to do that is grayed out on the computer we wanted to transfer the license from! Help?!
-
I'm having a bit of a problem with Deep Freeze in certain areas...I disable, for example, a local group policy setting (We don't use Server 2k3 etc) the setting comes back to haunt us a few days later! (Yes I did unfreeze the machine and rebooted twice before freezing back up again!). Does anyone know what is going on?!
-
Does anyone know how much Seagate charge for shipping etc on a RMA? I've got a 40gb hard drive with warranty until 2009 but it might cost more to RMA than to chuck in the bin
-
We use NW 6.5, Zen 7 and GW 7. Actually we don't really use Zen in any great capacity as it often ends up creating more problems than it solves!
-
Just this morning we've had 2 hard drives fail and 1 fail(ing) in a laptop! A curse has struck us over the weekend!!!
-
...And I have 19 days holiday to take yet didn't bother to take the rest of this week off. Damn! By the way, if anyone finds out where my Easter holiday wandered off to please let me know!
-
This week I need to update the ATS client in a certain room to the latest build. However, when I tried a demo test using the latest build at every 'Marking' stage an ActiveX control was blocked. Does anyone know what this ActiveX control is, or which site it is coming from so I can allow it to automatically install? Thanks
-
Promissor Administrator testing software problem
googlemad replied to flashsnaps's topic in Educational Software
Have you got the Promissor data directory on a server? If so you need a matching Windows login on the server and the client machine, well we did anyway. So now the candidates use one login to sit the test. When you get the disk space message again, try connecting to your Promissor server using Run or My Network Places and see if you get prompted for a username and password... -
Also : Your Macs seemed to be running Boot Camp on Tiger. Are you going to be upgrading them to Leopard any time soon (Since I believe the beta will not let you create any more Boot Camp partitions?) or look at alternative solutions... My iMac at home is great as I have Leopard and a copy of Parallels then take advantage of the Spaces feature to stick a full screen XP virtual machine in desktop 2 meaning I can switch between OS X and XP in seconds
-
The lady right at the beginning is hilarious "Hi I'm in the office and having a problem with my computer" - Which office?! "Yes I have tried switching it off and on" - Somebody has been watching too much IT crowd! "Can you come and show me?" - Sure, I'll just drop everything I'm doing to come and sort you out this second...not like I'm busy or anything If that was someone phoning us and our network manager picked up the phone he would go mental!! (He likes things to be organized and insists staff put support requests through the online support helpdesk) P.S: Where does one find the money for posh ICT suites full of iMacs Do you actually sit down and meet every morning and go through the list of jobs? Don't you have a help desk solution in place? Why didn't you punch the guy in the corridor asking for support
