Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. Does anyone else actually use this MIS or have our college once again got sucked in by the sales hype
  2. Answering the telephone! Usually someone either wants a job doing hence I have to direct them to the helpdesk system or some company rings trying to flog something! I would be quite happy without a telephone ringing in my ear all day...
  3. So when do you finish for Xmas and come back? We have a weird setup this year: Academic staff finish on the 19th Support staff finish on the 23rd (Grr!) All return 5th January Which is totally pointless AS a)There is a 'xmas get together' at lunchtime on the 19th, which probably involves beer. So a lazy afternoon then straight down to the pub. b)Monday morning. Enough said there. Especially so close to Xmas! c)There will no doubt be unofficial 'xmas get togethers' throughout the day on the 23rd as the place will be like a ghost town, so a tipsy day then straight down to the pub. They might as well have let us all finish on the 19th
  4. Yes - I was hoping there was a way to hide the message from the 'just click owt' crowd but never mind. Maybe I'll suggest it to Sophos.
  5. Getting complaints that machines are auto updating if a user doesn't click fast enough (Or in other words, they're not reading the message and clicking Restart Now but lets just ignore that for now!) Is there any way to turn off the Sophos update restart prompt? I think it happens when a program update is released.
  6. Got a machine that has suddenly decided to start randomly shutting down. When I say shutting down, I don't mean powering off straight away. It actually attempts to close all open programs and does the normal 'Windows is shutting down' process. Happens at random times, sometimes straight after login, other times after 15 mins. No pattern. Nothing in event log, the system is virus free and the RAM is fine. The only thing 'different' with this machine is it has a USB Dymo label maker and one of those library barcode scanners connected to the PS/2 keyboard port - Could this cause such an issue?
  7. Anyone got any tips regarding Deep Freeze and Sophos? We have just got the fancy enterprise console version going, trouble is a lot of the classrooms are locked down using Deep Freeze so any updates / client push outs get undone on reboot/shutdown! Ideally we could install Sophos on a 'thawed' partition but do some of the updates affect the registry?
  8. Does anyone have any experience of ZenWorks v7 license metering? All we want to use it for is to meter the use of Adobe CS suite applications, which are run on local machines rather than the network, so is it possible to get ZenWorks to meter this or not?
  9. Hi, Installed Unit-E client on 6 laptops yesterday, tried it on a 7th and although the client works fine one of the two web based .NET applications crashes every time, the error in error log relates to .NET Framework 2.0 but I have uninstalled all frameworks, reinstalled them etc but still no joy. Just wondering if anyone on here had any ideas. Also is it worth me taking a SQL 2005 / 2008 maintenance course? We are using 2005 but if the courses are similar I will take the 2008 route for future proofing.
  10. Big problem with a HP Color LaserJet 2700n at one of our community sites. Basically send a document to print and the green light flashes as if it was going to print, but never actually prints. Web admin status hangs at 'Printing document' too. Tried everything - IP change, switch off and back on, even reset to factory defaults and reconfigured from scratch! Any ideas?
  11. Great. Tried it in a classroom today and it turns out it feeds the paper through twice even if it is a 1 page document!
  12. We have some P2015dn printers and want to trial having the duplex mode on by default. I thought the option in the web admin for duplex mode would let me do this in one click, but it seems not. Do I have to change the driver setting on every single PC?!
  13. I'm going to be brief... We have purchased both the Novell and Windows versions of PCounter. Our network runs on Netware 6.5. Our printers run either through their built in NIC (Typically HP JetDirect but also some network copiers) or through ancient Intel / Netgear print servers. Can PCounter help us at all in the current setup or do we need to change something?
  14. Set up a new machine last night, it has a Intel G33 chipset I believe with the latest Intel GFX driver installed. (XP Pro SP3). Anyway the problem is I set the resolution to 1280 x 1024, which is happily accepted however every time the machine is rebooted and logged in again the screen flickers and goes back to 800 x 600! I think the flicker means the graphic driver is loading but it is weird as none of our other machines are doing this... Any ideas?
  15. I will find out the motherboard tomorrow, couldn't tonight as there was a night class. To be honest Stone kit seems to be going downhill...Especially since the merge with Compusys!
  16. We have a Stone machine from last year that seems to keep losing the fact it has a enabled onboard NIC! The lights are there and flashing but under Windows no NIC shows up in device manager. However if I disable the NIC in the BIOS, then enable it again, it magically comes back?! Any ideas what is going on...
  17. I would have a rant about how the accounting courses cause me so much misery as they must use this piece of software but I'm not in FFS... Anyway we moved the company data folder, including all the directories etc to a seperate non locked down partition as the class aren't the most technical of users. But now the reports screen is blank and I've been told it should show a list of reports regardless of the company! I've attached a document containing a couple of screenshots. Any ideas?! sage.doc
  18. Hi Ben, We recently upgraded one of our classrooms to LanSchool 7.2. Hoping to use the new secure mode (Great addition!) I set up the 'secure' client on all the student machines and the 'secure' console on the tutor machine. The problem now is I'm locked out of viewing them from my console with 'Channel 0' view! I could probably install the 'secure' console down here with the appropiate password but we were hoping to be able to set a different password for each classroom. Any tips?
  19. Either another technician is going round setting HP P2015 printers back to DHCP or they're doing something weird, but I've just had a call to say the printer wasn't working in a classroom (It has been working on a static IP for months), turns out it has defaulted back to the DHCP setting?! Any ideas why it did this?
  20. We have some Deep Frozen machines which works very well, but apparently the users are taking advantage of our 'pcuser' account that is setup for usage and changing the Administrator password so they can log in as Administrator. Obviously trying to look for ways round Deep Freeze / LanSchool Anyway is there any way to block an admin user account from creating/changing any other accounts without changing it into a limited profile? If that makes any sense
  21. Full-time Permanent Industry sectors: Education , IT Settle College A 13-19 Technology College Required as soon as possible Post 1 - ICT NETWORK MANAGER - Band 8 - 10 - £18,907- £25,320 (subject to experience and review), full time, 37 hours per week Applications are invited from candidates with previous ICT support experience, preferably within the education sector. You will provide a high degree of technical expertise in network and software management and installation, including network maintenance, MIS, internet and ICT systems, data backup and recovery, student and staff support. You will be responsible for managing a technician and working closely with the leadership group looking at the strategic development of the College's ICT infrastructure. Our MIS is currently SERCO. Application packs are available for both posts from Mrs K Mullett, Principal's PA on 01729 822451 or [email protected]. Closing date for application Weds 15th October 2008
  22. Both in the Yorkshire Evening Post Thursday 2/10/08. http://www.queensbury.ngfl.ac.uk/index.asp If I remember, the Network Manager post is somewhere between £26 and £18k and the ICT Tech post is around £15.6k. Can't remember much else, they just caught the corner of my eye...
  23. Ah! I got this on my machine first login today, someone else got it after opening and closing a spreadsheet. Thought it was a bit of a fluke for 2 machines to do it at the same time. On the subject of Sophos updates, the 'Restart Now / Restart Later' dialog that has been coming up with some recent updates is REALLY annoying when most of our classrooms are on Deep Freeze!!
  24. Basically we have a 'server' for Cintra - Really just a 2.4ghz P4 box with 768mb RAM and XP SP2 on it. Cintra then has a folder which is shared as a basic XP share and clients run the program file by running the .exe in the share. I'm been told sometimes Cintra is running quite slow on the client machine(s) and I reckon this is down to the fact it is constantly trying to access the whole program and data through a share. The interesting point is the client machine is in a totally different Workgroup to the server machine so if I'm thinking correct the client has to scan the entire workgroup to find the server and thus the share. So would putting the client machine in the same workgroup as the server machine provide a boost in performance?
  25. Yep Eventually popped into the classroom next door with an identical (working) setup and found they were using v7.7 drivers so I found a copy of those and stuck them on the problem machine and it all works great! Time to go and get drunk
×
×
  • Create New...