googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
I've got the Home Premium coming for my media centre box, no point in having backup and XP mode for that really (Well backup maybe but I can get Acronis for 23 quid or so!)
-
We are going to trial the use of Blackberry devices at our place, which means another fun server install! Has anyone ever installed the 'Blackberry Enterprise Server'? The installation booklet I've just been looking through made my head spin quite a bit! We have a Novell Groupwise 7 mail server running on a Novell 6.5 server, but from what I could understand the Blackberry suite needs to be installed on a Windows server?
-
We have received a copy of Cyberlink DVD suite with new Stone computers, which actually looks good as it can play DVDs and burn data CDs / DVDs etc. If we use the one activation code on the master image machine will it still be 'activated' on the imaged machines?
-
Are there any disadvantages to relocating the save location for Office Auto Recovery files from the local C:\ drive (Which gets wiped on restart) to a user's network area? i.e. do they delete if a document is saved correctly? Because the last thing I want is thousands of AutoRecovery files clogging up the network! I would be interested to know if this could also be done for OpenOffice..
-
Thanks, I was just trying to make sure certain rooms benefit from my new image this year since some of the new PC bids ain't happening now!!
-
Am I wasting my time if I do a low level disk format on a hard drive (i.e. write 000000000 to it) before reimaging it? Was thinking it may offer a slight performance increase...
-
A headache! Also, Remote Desktop Connection to my PC back in the office is one of the best things I've set up!!
-
Thanks for the opinions, will propose it to the 'gods' to trial in a suite . The initial thought was we currently stick every main Office icon on the desktop but since double clicking saved documents opens Word up anyway etc!
-
Could anyone share their opinions on if they think a cluttered desktop is best (i.e. all the program icons on the desktop) is best or if a non cluttered desktop is best (i.e. essentials like My Docs etc on desktop, programs all located within start menu) is best? I was hoping to trial a 'uncluttered' desktop in at least one IT suite for the next academic year as it just seems unlogical and since some of our kit that wanted upgrading this year isn't getting upgraded I thought by removing most of the desktop icons it might lead to (slightly!) improved performance on login
-
A couple of new thin client IT rooms. Which I'm actually looking forward to as I've never experienced them much before, but then there are all the usual summer tasks i.e. new images!
-
Yep! (College)
-
I've been roped into doing a Unit-E (It's like SIMs I think?) All I'm really confused about is the database upgrade part: Blue signifies that the script provides new or updated components that will not overwrite your configurations. Red signifies that the script is optional as it may overwrite some of your configuration values so care should be taken before installing. Green signifies that the script is for a particular market or database platform, you should only run these scripts matching your market and platform. Several of the upgrade scripts are red, so how can I ensure 'configuration values' aren't screwed up by the upgrade?!
-
On many of our XP SP2 / SP3 machines we have set up a file association for .TIF and .TIFF files to link to the built in Windows Picture and Fax viewer. For some reason random machines keep losing this association type and it is becoming highly annoying, does anyone have any suggestions? We don't use AD etc, all local machines with local admin accounts.
-
Thanks for the tip Downloaded the latest version and as soon as I launched it the software automatically picked up the older version on the server and downgraded to the correct version!
-
Hi, Does anyone have a mid 2008-ish copy of the AdmSetup.exe file for Promissor that will allow a new install. For some reason the one on our server dated 8.97.205.4 now comes up with a message 'This package cannot be used to do a fresh install of Administrator', even though we've done hundreds of 'fresh installs' in the past! But I reckon if I can get hold of a older AdmSetup.exe file that installs a new install when the client is run on the machine for the first time it will auto update with the server then. So anybody got a file?
-
Hi, Is there any way to link a Windows Server 2003 machine into a Novell tree / eDirectory so on a folder on the Windows Server machine we can set rights to it based on eDirectory objects? I know this sounds crazy but there is a specific reason! Cheers
-
Got a HP 2550N steam engine driven colour laser printer, anyway the network card part appears to have died. No flashing lights, tried connecting to several different known working network points with several different known working network cables Printing a status pages shows the card there with the following details: Status : I/O Card Not Ready LAN ERROR - LOSS OF CARRIER I have taken the motherboard part of the printer to bits, i.e. reseated the JetDirect card and cables, it does work through a USB connection. Any ideas? Before it goes in the canal!
-
70-290 had me sweating a bit, lot of instinct guesses but I seem to remember doing pretty well in the end. 70-291, on the other hand, is work in progress
-
By booking a holiday to Cyprus, I will: Have some much needed time off work Use up some of my holidays which I have to take or I lose them and Get a tan
-
I'm a big fan of Windows 7 at home, but at work it is still going to take some guts to start migrating from XP. Especially since we are (hopefully not for much longer) a Novell site and the Novell support for Vista / 7 is pretty much non existent.
-
Sorry I meant to mention the problem is we currently have some users on Office 2003 but some are now using Office 2007. So on some machines the viewer comes in the 11.0 folder but on others it will now be 12.0, and the finance software only allows one program path to be used. Hence I was thinking it could possibly be copied to a network share..
-
Our Finance system now allows budget holders to view invoices etc (TIF image files) but the software only allows one 'Open with' program to be selected At the moment it is set to : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Modi\11.0\mspview.exe I've had a look on my machine, and the path is correct apart from 11.0 is 12.0 (Possibly because I'm using Office 2007). Could the contents of this folder (In particular, the mspview.exe) be copied to, and run off a network drive location?
-
Our Surf Control server died. So we've built a brand new Windows Server 2003 SP2 machine with all the latest updates etc applied. Then we stuck on SQL Server Express 2005 and ran the Websense setup v7.0 First problem : It doesn't like the server name i.e. if we type in SERVER\SQLINSTANCE in the database setup window it rejects it, yet IP\SQLINSTANCE works fine. Then it gets so far through installation before stating "There was an error in the database creation. Please verify the path and disk space on the SQL server machine, and your rights to create a database." Then it seems to complete but obviously no database has been created, and now it won't uninstall fully etc GRR (OK, we can always reinstall Server 2003). Using Trusted Connection, no AD etc, any ideas? Cheers P.S. For the eDirectory logging to work, does the Websense server require Novell Client installing?
-
Ah! Didn't realize the host header value required the .ourdomain.com sticking on the end Cheers
-
We have a server with IIS installed, and it seems to have several 'websites' running on the same port but under different instance names. In a HOSTS file if we added 10.1.2.3 iisinstance That seems to work But if we add the instance name with the server IP to the DNS it means when someone goes to iisinstance.ourdomain.com it comes up with the default instance. Does this post make any sense? And if so how do we rectify the problem?
