googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
...And Hyper V requires (hardware) processor virtualization support does it not? I have ESXi sat on a Dell C521 in my house believe it or not!
-
Got a test environment, Windows 7 client and a Windows Server 2008 R2 server as a AD controller. Created a dummy user in the AD, specified a mapped network folder (Mapped to drive H:\) On the client if I right click this drive and go into Properties, then the quota tab, I get information about what a quota does and instructions telling me to click the button below to change the quota space limits. Now I'm logged in as the dummy user which does not have admin permissions so expect to receive a nice message saying 'Get lost'. Instead, the button just loops the same screen! Did this happen in previous Windows versions?
-
EVERY school in the Bradford Council area shut tomorrow...Hey I work in one of those! Even better than today since I can have a nice lie in
-
I think I'll ring in tomorrow even if my workplace is open, I don't fancy walking on a UK wide ice rink Then I have Wednesday booked off as holiday anyway
-
Got to the train station at my local town, got a call saying workplace was closed. No further motivation to go home required than that And this is West Yorkshire, so London must be bad!
-
Finally.. Access your computers from anywhere. £6.99 later and I was RDPing to my home server in the middle of nowhere on a train. A novelty if nothing else!
-
Good timing bringing my thread back from the dead! How do we set up Terminal Services on the ESM Server (currently Windows 2000) so if by chance multiple sessions get opened the Promissor 'server' utility cannot be started more than once? We had a problem yesterday where it was fighting against itself 2 or 3 times!
-
So, a month to go until I go on a 5 day SQL Server 2008 Maintenance course. Any stuff I should research before I go on the course? I've dabbled with Access databases in the past but nothing fancy, mainly I'm just going on the course because a)Get the training budget spent! b)We have a load of new admin systems coming into our organization, all using SQL (2005, but I've been told 2008 is similar so thought I might as well go on the latest and greatest course) Just want to make sure I don't waste a week of my life!
-
Adobe Premiere Elements 3: Adobe Premiere Elements has encountered an error [\pre\Libraries\ASL\Foundation\Src\DirectoryRegistry.cpp-165] Works fine if a user is logged in, we don't use roaming profiles but have remapped 'My Documents' to a network drive letter. Novell network so it seems as if it is looking for something in My Documents and not finding it if a user is only logged in locally? Adobe CS3: We have a educational key and on tutor machines I'm today getting asked to enter the key! Seems a bit out of the blue...
-
A course requires users to import their mobile phone / camera videos into PowerPoint, the videos are in MOV and 3GP format which PowerPoint doesn't support. Are they any free (preferred!) or paid video conversion tools to make these videos compatible with PowerPoint?
-
Got a user who keeps getting a Access 2003 application crash relating to msjet40.dll. Found a number of various hot fixes for the Microsoft 4.0 Jet Engine but not sure where I can find the most recent one...Any guidance? Thanks
-
We have a SurfControl server linked to a Novell eDirectory, basically we had big server issues and both were knocked out for a week or two. (The eDirectory worked still but off another Novell server). SurfControl and main Novell server back online today, now users in the "staff" context can't access Facebook as it is filtered under Personals/Dating, checked the rules in place and there are none that deny Personals/Dating other than to the "student" context. Any ideas? I don't think anyone has made any changes, certainly not me. I know it isn't a mission critical website to lose, but some staff who buy me pints at the local pub may soon make me pay if I don't resolve this!!
-
I got a Medion similar for around £600 a few months ago, build quality was generally quite good but the fan was constantly on and louder than my desktop so I took it back!
-
If you require Netbooks, get down to Asda. No seriously, Acer Aspire Ones with 512mb RAM, Linux and either 120 / 160gb (Lucky dip) hard drives for £150!
-
Our policy is set up to allow the LanSchool Student.exe application (Authorized suspicious behaviour) but Sophos still throws it up as Suspicious Behaviour! Any ideas?
-
If that request came down to our department, we would tell the teacher where to go! It seems like a VERY long winded way of doing things when the teacher could just TELL the students their grades from time to time surely? /mustn't forget I'm not Behind The Red Door
-
In XP folder options we are unchecking the option 'Use simple file sharing' Upon reboot, the setting is checked again! Local admin accounts and no domain. Any ideas as it will confuse our Sophos setup
-
Using Sophos Enterprise Console to deploy the client using a matching local server / workstation account (Not using domain auth) - Is there anywhere to save these credentials so they don't have to be entered every time in the Protect Computers wizard?
-
Xmas and we're still being gadget nerds. I get fed up of seeing technology at work!
-
Also the fact they've now implemented SteadyState will make having to use DeepFreeze a thing of the past... Sandbox users with Windows 7 PC Safeguard - istartedsomething
-
Hello from Windows 7 It took a good few hours, but it was happy enough to upgrade my Vista laptop and all drivers etc intact! The new start menu is going to take a lot of getting used to, as is the transparent full screen title bars!
-
Can you upgrade a Vista box to the 7000 build? I want to give the Media Centre upgrade a spin on my media PC but can't be bothered doing a clean install at the moment.
-
The Samsung NC10s are good. A bit expensive though, may be overkill for your needs.
-
Advisory: The Sophos Endpoint Security and Control update to be released in February 2009 will require a reboot Looks like they read my mind and have decided to hide the reboot prompt in future
-
That makes sense - So basically the server has the printer setup on it and then it pushes it out to the clients? How would drivers be installed for the various printers on the server side? Sorry for the late and out of the blue response but my boss is keen to get this going for 2009 and guess who is in charge of the project! (At least they found some dosh to send me on a bit of training ) If it works with eDirectory, does it have to be on the main server or can a new Novell server be created and dedicated to it? (Would be useful as we have VMWare so a new virtual server is simple and would keep things tidier.
