Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. Just got a load of our machines (students) in the Sophos Enterprise console, installed fine but some are now showing an error 'Could not find a source for updated packages'. Is this anything to do with the fact Simple File Sharing needs to be turned off for the updates to go down to the machines? As we have a problem with some machines where the simple file sharing tick comes back every reboot!
  2. Quick Google, put this into a text file and save as a .reg file then run it
  3. Make a batch file out of this and run it, if you can uninstall IE7 / IE8 first then do so, then reinstall it through updates Not 100% sure if this will fix the issue but I'm sure it did on the batch of machines we had with this problem!
  4. I have a fix at work somewhere, I believe it involves 'reinstalling' the Windows Update stuff by running a few commands. Will try and see if I still have it kicking around somewhere tomorrow
  5. Had a play just now and found that since the Users group has full permissions to the folder, the readonlyuser user has full permissions to the folder. But I removed the readonlyuser user from the Users group and they are only supposed to be in the 'ReadOnly' group
  6. I did try locking down through the NTFS permissions - But still the same effect. I'm missing something obvious as they can see and have control over the other shares on D:\ drive. (But creating a test share on the C:\ drive with read only access to the ReadOnly group works as expected)
  7. Another fun day of USB world, and it turns out by using random USB cables (Not the Dell provided ones) you can eventually get a monitor and Sun combo working! If the kids nick any of the 'magic' USB cables I will track them down and shoot them!
  8. Got a standard 2003 server, not on a domain or anything. (Below folder names / user names are fictional) Have got a folder on the "D:\" drive, 'ABC'. Set a new group up on server 'ReadOnly' with one user 'readonlyuser' Placed 'readonlyuser' user in 'ReadOnly' group and removed from 'Users' group. In sharing permissions for 'ABC' folder allocated 'ReadOnly' user group read only access. The problem I'm having is when connecting to the share from a clean remote machine using the read only user login details to connect is that they seem to have full control i.e. read/write access to the folder. Not only that, they also seem to have control over the other shares set up on the D:\ drive even though the 'ReadOnly' group has no explicit permissions to access those. Any ideas what is going on? I was thinking it may be a 'Everyone' permissions issue at the root D:\ level but I can't modify it due to it being the default Windows share! (Everyone group has been removed from the shared folder rights in question too).
  9. The guys at our support end say the problem lies within the fact the monitors can use different USB 'engines' even though they're the same model and the Sun Rays 2 won't pick up all 'engines' out there! I love playing the Dell lottery
  10. I think one of the Unknown Devices is the driver for the HP Lights Out management stuff. Even if you don't have that option in your server!
  11. I'm baffled now and to describe what cable swapping etc I did in words isn't worth the stress my head would go through! Basically the monitors don't seem faulty as the USB hubs work fine through a standard PC, and the Sun Rays don't seem faulty as they will provide power to the monitor hubs when connected through a different monitor! Think I'm going to get the support guys in on the job to be honest! The mice do 'blink' on and off once as they do on all the Sun Rays but then they don't seem to get 'full' power.
  12. I think I did, I can double check tomorrow though. They're not Sun keyboards, just Dell keyboards and Dell mice. It is just very confusing why, with the exact same wiring etc the other 17 or so work fine 100% of the time! The optical light on the mouse doesn't even light up during the boot up / connection process yet it does with the other Sun Rays! Need to get it working really so the kids can use the side USB ports on the monitor for their USB drives and the like
  13. We recently got 21 Dell 19" monitors with the built in USB ports and 21 Sun Ray 2 thin client devices. The problem is 3 or 4 of the Sun Ray 2 devices don't seem to have power to the mouse and keyboard when connected through the back 2 USB ports on the monitor! The monitor connects to the Sun Ray 2 using a USB A to B cable and this is the exact same setup as the 17/18 other Sun Ray 2 / Dell combos! When the keyboard and mouse are plugged in to the Sun Ray 2 directly they work fine, when the Dell monitor A to B USB cable is connected to a normal laptop I can connect a mouse and keyboard through the Dell monitor and control the laptop fine, so I'm totally baffled as to what is going on?!
  14. Argh!!! I found another feature of the new Stone design: There is a blanking plate underneath the slimline DVD drive and you can push it inside the case with one finger!!! The kids will love that!
  15. googlemad

    Windows 7

    So it is, I can probably stick it on my home PC now too under our agreement Is the MAK key valid for 500 activations as with Vista ? (And can that 500 limit be increased?)
  16. Does anyone know why in the Stone desktop systems they now seem to be using 'slim' laptop style DVD drives rather than the standard DVD drive? It just struck me as being weird due to the fact I'm sure last time I looked they were significantly more to buy than a standard optical drive!
  17. In my typical fashion I got a request from a member of staff (personal job) saying their home LCD isn't powering on. Got it to the office and indeed it isn't, even with a new power cable. But it looked in decent nick 19" screen so I offered a tenner for it and got it! Any ideas on if I can get it to fire up? It's a Proview ma-982kc
  18. Err, nope
  19. We have one server where another department need to access it through 'console mode' but if they think they're having access to VMWare Infrastructure client they can think again Anyway what is the best open source VNC software? I looked at RealVNC but that appears to require a license for 'business' use?
  20. In the end we imported the laptop into the Enterprise Console, got it up to date through there and added the 'offline' credentials as a secondary update source. When taken offline and updated via the wireless the offline credentials then worked! So the only conclusion I came to is our offline installer is a bit old now and it needs updating to a more recent version before updates will come through (Possibly they've changed the update server address since 'Sophos' is hard coded)
  21. Is anyone having difficulties in updating Sophos 'off line' from the Sophos servers today? By 'off line' I mean not from the Enterprise Console but laptops etc that update via the Internet source.
  22. I loved the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation login sound!!!
  23. They're Stone / Compusys with Intel 845 chipsets mainly, I know they will all support 1GB PC3200 sticks
  24. Bump (Saves a new post for a similar question) Summer time again, we want to refurb some of our old classroom PCs for staff so need around 20 1GB DDR PC3200 RAM sticks (Pref Kingston). Any pointers for best sources? I know it has probably shot up with DDR2 / DDR3 taking over etc!
  25. *drools* I think I may be filling in a order form or 2 at work for a product to stop me having to answer sales calls all day! It even tells them to get lost!!!
×
×
  • Create New...