googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
Could you provide a little bit of guidance doing this using GPP? Not really sure where it needs to go e.g. Computer / User configuration and how high up the tree it needs to be... Our home dirs are \\fileserver\staff$\%username% Thanks
-
Windows 7 client, 2008 R2 server, staff roaming profile with certain folder redirections in place to a network location. There is a green circle in the system tray which appears to be Sync Centre, is this required for the setup above or can be it be disabled? As slightly confused why it is coming up to begin with...
-
Is there an automated way to create a Home Directory structure for new users? For example -Home Directory Root Folder --Desktop --Documents ---Downloads --Favourites Can it be done with the Folder Redirection group policy in some way? Also on the subject, since the Desktop folder is redirected if a user deletes a file and sends it to the recycle bin does it stay in their profile until they empty the recycle bin?
-
I'm really new to GP, do the following changes seem OK for a 'Computer' level policy (So will filter down to all computer objects) Computer Configuration --Policies ---Security Options -----Accounts: Rename administrator account : Defined 'pcadmin' -----Interactive logon: Do not display last user name : 'Enabled' -----Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL + ALT + DEL : 'Enabled' -----Interactive logon: Message text for users attempting to log on : '(our aup message)' -----Interactive logon: Message title for users attempting to log on : '(our establishment name)' -----Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is not available) : Defined '0 logins' ------System Services -----Remote Registry : Defined 'Automatic' ------Windows Firewall with Advanced Security -----Domain Profile : Defined 'Disabled' -----Private Profile : Defined 'Disabled' -----Public Profile : Defined 'Disabled' ------Administrative Templates ---Logon -----Hide entry points for Fast User Switching : Defined 'Enabled' -----Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon : Defined 'Enabled' ---User Profiles -----Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart : Defined 'Enabled' 7 days -----Delete cached copies of roaming profiles : Defined 'Enabled' ---HomeGroup -----Prevent the computer from joining a homegroup : Defined 'Enabled' ---Windows Defender -----Turn off Windows Defender : Defined 'Enabled' ---Windows Error Reporting -----Disabled Windows Error Reporting : Defined 'Enabled'
-
Tried a different hard drive which was picked up straight away so connected the old drive back up and did FDISK on it, then it was picked up straight away! Bizarre
-
I'm at the installer screen where it its supposed to list the hard drives installed in the server and let me partition / format / choose where to install Windows and can't find any drives / storage controller drivers
-
Got a HP ML115 server (G1) has some form of nVidia RAID SATA chipset? Which isn't getting picked up during Server 2008 R2 setup and therefore not picking up the SATA drive for installation, can't find the relevant drivers anywhere. Any ideas? I know the server supports 2008 R2 and the SATA works within it as I've had the install on a IDE drive with SATA data drives!
-
OK so I built a Windows 7 just the way I wanted it, copied the user profile I had set up to Default User with the little workaround, great. Imported the custom image into MDT which involves Sysprep, when the image is applied to a machine I have a couple of issues which I would like to resolve: 1)Seems to create / enable the local 'Administrator' account. But I already have a 'pcuser' account which is a local Administrator, any way to stop it doing this? 2)For whatever reason some software decides to run through the whole 'First run' setup wizards again, I've noticed this with Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Even though the custom profile has been copied across from Default User which had all the options set?
-
We don't have Scan as a supplier on our finance system so can't use them without having to go through several hoops (Yea - Don't go there ) Are there any chains on the high street that would sell em? As for some bizarre reason if I buy on the high street and claim the receipt in petty cash that is fine, but I can't order online from unknown suppliers and send that receipt in
-
-
Does anyone have any of these spare in a dusty corner? http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2m-uk-square-cable-(c19)-pc-mains-cable-(for-the-high-end-psus-with-the-square-fitting) If so please let me know Need to test something! Hopefully it wouldn't cost you much to send and can be snuck in the school mail
-
Got in this morning and it looks like one of our Dell Power Distribution Units has failed, knocking out all the switches. Luckily there was another with enough free capacity to get things up and running again, but how do you get the kettle lead out of the failed one to check it with another kettle lead / power source? It seems to be held in place by some form of metal bar and I can't figure out how to release it!
-
What we would like to do, when a computer is added to Active Directory is to automatically populate the 'Description' with the serial number of the computer. The serial is programmed in the BIOS for 95% of our machines, so basically I'm looking to do 'wmic bios get serialnumber' but transfer the result into the 'Description' field of the AD object if that makes sense?
-
What does everyone here select when asked to choose between 'Home / Work / Public' network? Or does it even matter when the local Windows Firewall is turned off and the machines are connected in a domain?
-
Got a problem with a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop When the AC adapter is plugged into the wall, there is a green light on it. The green light turns off the second the AC adapter is connected to the laptop. The laptop will not power on with either the battery in or the battery out Any ideas?
-
We use Google Apps for Education, now previously we used Groupwise and I had a Blackberry Enterprise Server set up working well for that. Shiny new Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine, decided might as well just use Blackberry Enterprise Server express, downloaded the Exchange version as there didn't seem to be a standalone one for Google Apps and the Exchange one doesn't seem to want to install because well...we ain't got Exchange Any ideas? All I want to do is install a Blackberry Enterprise Server and get it connected up with Google Apps!
-
Turns out they've updated their pull print documentation so now you no longer need to set up a move rule it is done via other methods (LPR redirects) http://www.altman.co.uk/files/pullprinting-howtoguide.pdf
-
I had a 1 hour remote support session with them! What we have at the minute: "Pull MFD Queue" (set up on workstations) "Pull MFD Queue Hidden" (when jobs are sent to "Pull MFD Queue, a rule set within PCounter is supposed to move any jobs automatically from "Pull MFD Queue" to this queue) Then the "Pull MFD Queue Hidden" is linked into the copiers individual queues with the embedded software config. What happened was since the 'Pull MFD Queue' was 'dead' PCounter was pausing the print queue and all jobs within it meaning the rule wouldn't kick in.
-
I know this may sound slightly odd but for our PCounter pull printing to work correctly the main pull printing queue needs to be linked to a 'live' printer IP (As we found out the other day when printing went down across the college because someone had switched a copier off over the weekend!) So what I was wondering, is there any 'virtual' printer utility out there that I could whack on the print server, and it could have a IP assigned to it and if queried the status would always be 'Ready to print'? Sorry if this makes no sense!
-
Turns out they did install but don't appear to install until a reboot, also lacking the nVidia Control Panel although that is no huge loss. Not too worried as we only have a handful of computers with dedicated graphics anyway
-
I've got the Adobe Reader X MSI, deployed it via Active Directory, fine. The only problem is the .pdf file icon doesn't seem to 'register' on the client so even though the Reader is installed and PDF files can be opened by double clicking them their icon is just the generic Windows one. Which is a little confusing. Any ideas?
-
DriverMax managed to resolve the fingerprint issue. But that pesky nVidia driver still won't work! I've tried downloading the package from nVidia and putting straight into MDT but that doesn't work either. Any more ideas on that?
-
How do I go about setting up a Windows 7 install which will be part of a 2008 R2 domain? Do I just perform a clean install, set up any software not to be deployed via GP, install updates etc (We do have WSUS being implemented this summer too but I'm guessing there is no harm in getting the image up to date locally?) then copy the profile across to 'Default User' so domain users get it? Once I've set up the profile and copied it across to 'Default User' can I remove the local account so there is just one 'Administrator' local account?
-
Not having much luck, used the utility after doing a full update and all drivers installed, pulled them off and into MDT Try deployment and fails to install the Fingerprint sensor (laptop!) and comes up with a message after deployment 'Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device' NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) Any ideas?
