Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. I made something using Visual Studio Lightswitch - will be moving onto SharePoint the moment I can drag our people away from county council email. Probably took about 5 hours of good work, allows anyone to log a order which they then pass onto their head of department who can approve the order, the bursar then prints off a mail merged document (takes it right out of the database) gets the head to sign it.
  2. jamesfed

    Kyocera vs OKI

    Never used Oki but I wouldn't go with Kyoceras we have - the driver is along the lines of 50Mb in size! As others have said I wouldn't limit yourself to just 2 brands, personaly I have found Ricoh to be best with a very small driver and a very intuative UI.
  3. Can't wait for updated Direct Access in Windows 8 Above all (buisness features) thats the one I'm most after - I still don't see why so many are having issues with WOA/Win RT being unmanaged as after all its a personal device just like other tablets are (expecily considering VDA rights are included).
  4. Just found out about that today myself - it was some HP 6465b's that I was preparing in MDT downloading the individual drivers off the HP site right until I reached the bottom of the page (where the pack was!). Haven't got the PCs on site yet but can't wait to see how well this pack works out for us.
  5. Thats a pretty broad statment I quite like mine - handle makes it easy enough to cart about and the transparent panels let you accualy see inside and go ooooooh. Then again though thats what I'm in to (Although I do like the Fracal Design cases I have seen as well).
  6. Sure be - I would sleep easier with a TPM chip in there doing its job (but who knows maybe the Drive Encryption will work off a TPM chip but can't be managed like Bitlocker (and so why they arn't calling it Bitlocker)).
  7. I always thought the lack of Media Centre in the pro editions was one of the big draw backs of Vista (not an invitation to talk about the failings of/what we thought about Vista! lol) but in the real world I didn't find it that much of a problem. No BitLocker for WOA/Windows RT - that could be a bit of a clincher considering other tablets out there are surposed to have some kind of encryption.
  8. I can't see that they would - if Microsoft wants to push on as a company they will have to let go of the past, ultimately it will be to the benefit of sysadmins everywhere as it will give them a reason to get the budget to replace aging PCs/move to VDI.
  9. Not Micro but pretty small - Isotope Cases - Scan.co.uk I've got one of them and was able to fit in a full AMD 6950 inside although it is a tight fit for other parts.
  10. JANET do free certs for schools now - just apply through your LEA/Broadband Consortium
  11. Yep MDOP on the EES - costs praticly nothing but worth a whole lot! We've put everything for Windows 7 into App-V - has been a big help to us as less installing subject specific programs on teachers notebooks (now they are just streamed down) and a tiny image to drag over WDS. It has been as stable as anything for us as well a near perfect way to get applications out there and even things like Google Earth and all our Techsoft go into it easy enough.
  12. +1 for knowing more about Windows 7 SP2 this is little more than what we already know or can put together from other sources
  13. Quite fitting for my wallpaper at the moment.
  14. I'm happy with the £30 I pay for it
  15. Sorry that earlier chat about speed was even off topic but I can live with a little. The strict point of this topic is who wants to see VDI in action?
  16. :D and happy (Yes I'm not taking you seriously hehehe) Either way guys lets keep on topic - thread is for anyone who wants to see a live demo of VDI and a free lunch.
  17. Oh dear the KVM guy is back.... no offense and its not that you are wrong but I'm happy with simplicity (and we have already had this discussion over which is simpler and it comes down to personal reasons).
  18. Do you use any 'RDP' addons like Screwdrivers for printers ect?
  19. Another teaser for us all - SSD VDI Application Load Times | my world of IT
  20. Not that I'm aware - VDI-in-a-Box is very much a point and shoot style of VDI where everything is very very simple, if you want the more advanced features then that is what XD is for (ultimatly Citrix want to have a clear divide between the products). Capacity isn't a great problem - you can easily fit 30-40 VMs on a 256GB SSD card Yep - have to be 15k SAS as well to get any real speed!
  21. Anything in event logs?
  22. We use Sophos on VDI in a box (very simlar to XD) - to be honist I only update the def files when I update the golden image and only have it to set to scan on read.
  23. Yep and no reason not to get 2 and put them in software RAID 1 (naturally double the price though). Golden images are replicated but permanent VMs aren’t - then again you should be able to put in place roaming profiles/dedicated backups (through DPM ect) for those if seriously needed.
  24. They are what you might call 'workstation grade' but even at £400 they could be condiered as semi expendable after a few years hammering. Kaviza supported all thin clients that did HDX/Citrix connections you just didn't get some of the features (mainly error messages should anything go wrong). Although we haven't gone to deployment yet the demos we have done have worked out amazingly well (will put a video up soon showing just how fast it is). If you are intrested in coming you are more than welcome - if I can get the permission of those present I might do a video recoard of each of the presentations as well.
  25. Uve got to remember there is a lot of value added in VDI/Thin Clients as well - think of the power savings of a thin client compared to a fat client (65-90W vs 6-12W). Then the wonderful world of ture central management - no chance for a PC to 'go off on its own'. Lets remember these systems scale very nicely as well so even if you do make a small loss at just 8 clients you can expand in the future. Are you anywhere near Abingdon (Oxfordshire) as we will be doing a demo to any intrested schools in June.
×
×
  • Create New...