markman
Members-
Posts
127 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by markman
-
No, haven't done any updates recently. Haven't really had to on the system only from the last SIMS update weeks ago.
-
Cheers Tony, I have come across this one and if we have another crasch I will have a look inside to see if there is anything loose. I have come across loads of different answers, hard disk failure (checked that and the disks seem fine), conroller failure (maybe ), loose connections, firmware updates needed (I haven't changed anything and last night was the first time in 5 years accoring to Event Viewer)
-
I am having a bad morning! Stepped throught the door this morn' to sounds of SIMS isn't working! It appears our SIMS server, a Dell Poweredge 2600 crashed in the night and in Event viewer we are getting: Error: Event ID 9 The device, \Device\Scsi\mraid35x1, did not respond within the timeout period. It has crashed twice since then. Any ideas what I sould be looking for? It appears to have a onboard RAID controller and has 2 x mirrored SCSI drives. Am I better looking at purchasing a replacement contoller? Also what would I need to do to add the new controller? Am I right in thinking that the new controller wouldn't pick up the mirrored set? Anyone else come across this? I am searching the Net at the mo' and I can see loads of sites with comments on it. Mark
-
I'd ban the whole of the Internet given half the chance. Our kids can get upto enough mischief without streaming video.
-
Cheers, lots to think about here. There shouldn't actually be any physical link between the networks, well there wasn't until recently! The curriculum network uses AD authentication through Censornet but we never bothered with the admin side.
-
Either me or the technician here have patched our curriculum network into the curriculum. We run 2 IP ranges to keep them seperate, we use static addressing for curriculum but we have DHCP enabled on the admin network. Now the little toads have got their Ipods running wirelessly through our curriculum network out unfiltered onto the Net!! Does anyone know of a way to figure this one out?? I don't believe we have done this!
-
Yep, thumbs up from here as well. we have 50 PC's from them and they are great! We also got them in customised metal encasements to stop little fingers taking them apart and all they have access to is the power button
-
Comedy Genius
-
Answered my own question. I was looking at a future class.
-
We are going to start doing our registration through SIMS directly instead of using Lesson Monitor to take advantage of the extra features the only problem I am having now is that Minutes Late is greyed out. Does anyone know which permission key needs to be changed to enable this feature? Thanks
-
Hi, school is currently working on its census using SIMS and we are having problems saving the corrections we are making. Whenever the changes are made, saved, closed and reopened it loses the changes. Any ideas??
-
Which LEA are you under Broc? I am at a Manchester school and will be under the control of Ramesys.
-
Hopefully we will get enough money to do any work properly. We are having a go with virtualization before the academy takeover, should be online over half term. We are using VMWare on Linux (Ubuntu), not completely sure about the ins and outs yet but backup of the domain controllers is pretty straighforward! You are right about the here and now but some of this is controlled by budgets and what is available at the time. A workshop would be great, I have just mamaged to bag a small office to run a helpdesk but it isn't big enough to do any work in.
-
I have been asked to think about what I would want in our new school (ICT) once we become an academy. Was hoping to ge to BETT but a hospital appointment and my techie being on a course has finished that idea, so. Question: What would be on your wishlist for a new system within a school / academy? Security is an issue here so I would want metal encasements like Stone Computers and Forefront suppply or similar. I would 'like' to see security cameras in ICT suites. We will be a arts and media college so Apple Macs will be needed (worried about these as next to no knowledge of them ). On the infasturcture side, I haven't thought about yet.
-
Messages: OMD 30th Anniversary Showing my age here! They are a class act. Highlight of the year was seeing them live as the original (ish) band in Liverpool.
-
I have repaired many Dell keyboards that our kids systematically take apart but not and Acers. It is a skill and you just have to be careful. With Dell Inspirons you position the fidly back with a small screwdriver and then the key just clicks on. Hope this is helpful
-
Mine comes from an old Gary Numan song 'Machman' just changed to include my name. And that song is old, 30years next year!! God I'm old
-
IP phones in ICT suites, mmm! Interesting idea. That would be a possibility, if they didn't get nicked that would be a great idea.
-
PDA's, phones!! Not a chance, we have these great big brick radios to cart around. How many techies fdo you have CyberNerd?
-
We carry radios, I think we are just expected to be there whenever he needs us. We do tend to be there when we can though.
-
I am interested to see how other schools run helpdesks (if they do at all). The head of ICT here is pushing for one of us to always be at the 'helpdesk' (which is in a store room off an ICT suite with no windows) all morning. As there are only two of us this loses 50% of us out straight away. He also gets quite upset if one of us isn't there, which can be frustrating when you are busy. How do you all work this?
-
We have year groups speerate. We have for a while had trouble with the odd sers but it as got a lot worse since september. I have this week been testing a new Censornet Pro server out using year 7's to see if it sorted the problem but it doesn't so the prob' must reside in AD; just haven't managed to find where.
-
You couldn't give us a copy of the batch file you were using could you? It may take the pressure off here while I get to the bottom of this. We too have changed our proxy settings and we also had multiple occurances so when I changed it and it went wrong when I reset the address some PC's get the old some the new and the regulard that can't get on still can't.!! Really frustrating
-
We use roaming profiles. I have downloaded Sonar and will give that a go.
