markman
Members-
Posts
127 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by markman
-
It is using AD for authentication, we could in theory have 150ish at some points on the Net in the same lesson, maybe more if we have cover teachers in suites.
-
Th GUI shows: Uptime: 1 dat 5 hours Load average (1 min): 0.2 Load average (5 min): 0.7 Load average (15 min): 1.2 Active processes: 173 Free RAM: 73% Disk space: 74122MB Used Space: 3574MB Free Space: 95% How do I reduce the cache size? Yes I know, I really should take some time out and learn Linux!! Cheers Mark
-
The Internet has slowed right down coming through our CN box, reboots haven't cured it (this is the limit of my knowledge here :oops: ). Our admin network which doesn't go through the box is fine, I know there should be some slowing with the filtering but this seems more like dial up speed??
-
We use Censornet, the software is free (linux) and you can subscribe to their blcaklist update for £100 per year (this updates the blacklist every night). It is easy to set up and an efficient package, it is rather like playing god and the kids hate it! Nearly as much as Lan School our classroom management software. The only problem we have is that their forum has been down for months, I suppose it is a good way to get people to pay for support. http://www.censornet.com
-
Any pay rises should go before governors, SO1 / SO2 is definitley what you should be getting. What is your line manager like? I had a very supportive one when I last went in for a rise. See who you can get on your side, the ones that see how busy you must be; I have nowhere near 600 PC's and me and my tekkie are busy all the time.
-
Depends what you are after we use: welivecomputers.co.uk Can get generally anything, new, returns, cancelled orders, second user. http://www.ictltd.co.uk (ICT technology) A good Dell reseller. Had good prices from them in the past. PCWB.com Actually PC World business can be a good source and you can get some bargains there if you look.
-
Yes, we currently have Exchange 2003 sat on a 2000 AD domain. ta
-
adprep / forestprep have been covered before but I can't find anything about exchange as well. Outline: We currently have 2 x Windows Server 2000 servers, one the primary DC and the other our exchange server. I want to introduce a new server for Exchange, one that is big enough to support our external email. Does anyone know of any issues regarding running adprep / forestprep with Exchange on the network as I want to install 2003 server on this new box? And eventually replace the existing DC with a new 2003 server as well as the old one is showing it's age!!
-
You name it we have it!! Dell - 65 Fujitsu -32 HP - 30 Compaq - 20 really old Evo N1015's but numbers going down IBM - 10 Acer (yuk) - getting leeser by the week Packard Bell (oh dear!) - about 4 now Tosh - 10 Depends waht the budget allows, we use over 80 for pupil access. I hate laptops
-
It seems odd to have two different drive letters to SIMS. Generally 'S' is used. You would need a half decent server with full SQL to make it run better. We use a Dual Xeon Dell server with 2Gb of RAM, 2 x 73Gb SCSI's and it just serves SIMS nothing else. Capita have a recommended spec for servers and workstations. Once all the files are moved over you will have to reattach the SIMS database to SQL on the new server and you can set the drive maping in AD. We actually got Capita to do the database move part to make sure it went smoothly Hope this helps.
-
Calling all Manchester tekkies!! Who knows anything about the takeover by Ramesys over manchester technical employee contracts? We were only told about this on Tuesday this week, eventually we are all to become under Ramesys control and I am told we would retain the terms and condition of our surrent contract as well as pension through Tameside. We apparently aren't on the initial list of schools and am surprised we have only just been told about this.There does seem to be positives here but it is a little worrying. Who knows stuff about this?? Anyone worried about this?? questions, question??
-
Secondary school. Me and my tekkie are full time, would get nothing done if it was term time only.
-
Technical workshops - expressions of interest
markman replied to GrumbleDook's topic in Courses and Training
I'd defo be interested in workshops in Manchester or up north. Any further away would depend, I have family commitments at the mo'. -
The head should have been in trouble for this and the tekkie sacked. No questions. Schools are a great place to work if it wasn't for kids and teachers!! It is toss up who is the worst. The hours are great, the hols are hard to beat and as said before you get to have a bash at the lot. I have never found it hard to get interviews for jobs, it is just the interviews that are the hard bit. I am glad to see we aren't the only ones who are constantly clearing up after vandalism. Latest one chewing gum on optical mice Nice!! So the bus on the moon isn't true? :oops:
-
Are there no problems with throuput on the Terrastations? would they be any good as file servers?
-
Making cables is not fun, the last one I did started at 2m and ended up 6 inches!! We find: http://www.aria.co.uk Cheap and their cables start at 41p inc vat for 0.5m
-
BIG powerful server 'n' fast drives!!
-
I don't think you would be able to buy all the hardware for SAN on 5K, you'd just about afford a fibre switch. If you can do it for this let me know. Mark
-
All the PC's are set up and enabled for CN and allow other users onto the Net. I agree that it looks like the proxy settings not being applied, anyone any idea why it is happening? and so randomly? The script you attached, excuse my numbness but how do you run this? Beyond batch files I am a bit lost.
-
Thanks for ll replies. * We are a secondary school with around 350 networked curric machines including 80 laptops. * We have 1000 users * We use Server 2003 and XP Pro clients * One spec we have had qouted on was: Dell 24u cabinet 2 x Poweredge 1425- Xeon 2.8 1gb ram 2 x 146 10k scsi hdd nic s/w raid 3yr nbd wty 1 x Poweredge 2950 Dual 3.0 xeon dual core proc 4gb ram 5 x 146 gb scsi 15k hdd dual giga nic perc 5i raid 3yr nbd wty 1 x LTO 100/200 ext backup 1yr wty.
-
Has anyone any recommendations on Server configurations? We are looking at replacing our curriculum servers, we have been using on rather large (well we thought it was at the time) dual Xeon Compaq server with a rather dodgy configuration and not enough storage space. Our mirrored system drive wasn't actaully mirrored, as we found out when the SCSI drive went down!!! Thats the last time I trust someone else to configure a server. Anyway I digress... We are thinking of using 3 or 4 rack mounted servers, 2 smaller servers would replicate and be used for logon and DNS + one large one with BIG drives would be used for Home Dirs, shared areas, file and print and also maybe one for email (exchange). The servers would use RAID 5. We also have a small SATA server doing onscreen exams that is serving as an emergency PDC. We currently have our school networks completely seperate domains, anyone any ideas on the pro's and cons of keeping seperate / making one network? Will Exchange run across 2 seperate networks? I presume it will but at the mo' we just use it for Senior management diaries, but need to introduce internal email and also pupil email. We have been using an old compaq workstation for this up to now. Any ideas would be much appreciated and I hope this makes sense, I a writing this whilst changing yet more passwords. I have only just joined the site but it is a great community for tekkies after seing you at BETT. Theres a lot of knowledge within here (well perhaps not me). It is great to see there are others having similar problems as me.
-
It is down to the same users, wherever they log on they don't get the log in screen and the default home page is the schools site but for these users in tries to go off to the default Microsoft site and all our users are set up the same way. You can use MAC address or IP address, we use IP. Cheers for the help
-
I have a weird thing going on here!! Random users don't have Net access through Censornet, the log in window just doesn't appear and the browser doesn't pick up settings. It is completely random through all 5 school year groups?? It is picking user up via AD and most users are fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I did post on the Censornet site but the forum has been down a while. I am probably missing something obvious though!! :oops:
