Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Midget

Members
  • Posts

    1,313
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Midget

  1. Midget

    PC world

    Sorry, it's just that I'd had this conversation earlier that day with someone going on about how the Core2Duo wasn't very good because he had a 3.4GHz PentiumD which was obviously faster and betterer as the numbers are higher; and assumed you were doing the same.
  2. what's wrong with just using a small switch? They're only £10
  3. Midget

    PC world

    i think you may just be an idiot. Because at those speeds they are most probably Core2Duos or their very very bottom of the spectrum super cheap celeron machines which do the job well for what most people want. Also people use Office because it is industry standard and does the job, OO just isnt as good. oh but Norton is rubbish, AVGFree is better.
  4. The Echo? Are you from South Wales?
  5. to really add to the mystique, drape a cloth over the computer first I hope he does go into IT, and gets laughed at by all the recruiters
  6. Contrary to popular belief its very very very difficult to recover from platter damage. Quickest way to wipe the disk is to open it up and just run a knife across the platter leaving a deep scratch. Otherwise MHDD has a good securewipe facility and boots from floppy.
  7. He's using a proxy server or dialup. Not much you can do. Do you know him?
  8. AHHHH mini ATX thats something completely different and going to be difficult to find many cases that dont have 5 1/4 slots. Micro ATX are 280x200mm Mini ITX are 170x170mm Sorry no idea then.
  9. Here you go. I have a Travla C138 which its great, but you'll want something smaller. The Pack Box (£37) or Cubid 5677 Thin Client (£50) would be best for you (and one of the cheapest)
  10. Midget

    The Fallen...

    The school IT system has apparently been taken over; conquered if you will, by a master race of giant Faceless IT Suppliers. It’s difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive edugeeks or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain, there is no stopping them, the Suppliers will soon be here. .... and I for one welcome our new faceless overlords and would like to remind them as a trusted ex-edugeek I could be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
  11. In the eyes of many, an IT tech is no more than a caretaker for computers, they're just there to turn them on, or phone a company to take them away and fix them if they are broken, other than that they spend all their day sitting around not doing anything.
  12. nah not really, but I used the money to buy a pizza
  13. Wait!? That was YOURS!? I thought it was Adam Sandlers. Sorry I sold it on eBay
  14. oh ffs joe, do you have no sence of humour at all? the :razz: indicates he was just messing around
  15. a man should sit like this: http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2003-09-04/goods_mystyle-1.jpg or this http://images1.comstock.com/Imagewarehouse/CR/SITECS/NLWMCompingVersions/78313/78313-93JH.jpg not this http://www.clipartguide.com/_small/0060-0505-1815-1152.jpg
  16. ah, but how are you supposed to do the atypical man sitting pose of opening your legs as wide as possible to relax...youself.... when .... yourself.... is on display if you do?
  17. All of which have reliability problems. btw they also make the PCBs for several HDDs
  18. That's actually quite rare, mine thought that just anyone could look after a network of 400machines.
  19. Midget

    Downgrading?

    why are you giving money to your ex?
  20. Don't believe the "cost of living" increase b*ll*cks. I was at the top of my pay scale and told I couldn't move up, I'd just get inflation or cost of living increases from then onwards. I got £2.50/month increase in April, which I found completely insulting. Inflation this year was 3.1% I got <0.2%
  21. I'll be honest FoxConn are cheap for a reason, they're 5h1te and I would not recommend them to anyone. Try it without RAM and see if it'll at least get you to the "U HAZ NO RAM LIKE INNIT" message. Does yours have the diagnostic panel? either a small light array giving numbers or a bank of LEDs ? If so, then compare what that is saying against the manual's diag page.
  22. Midget

    Downgrading?

    laptops are crap, what's wrong with just keeping the main machine for games etc and selling the rest and then getting a very very cheap low powered laptop for sitting in the sun surfing the net. I have a similar setup, but with 2 laptops, (a 1GHz VIA and a 300MHz w/ a cutdown WinXP - i refuse to throw it out whilst it still works )
  23. unplug the hard drives, infact unplug EVERYTHING except the mobo, cpu, RAM, (gfrx card if not onboard) and vdu cable and then see what happens and of course the PSU/power cable if you are being funny.
  24. Pandora.com FTW I used to have that playing all day in my office.
  25. Intuition about all things computers and learning techy words. the person interviewing you will be the head, head of it and a governer, none of which will have any idea about networks. It will be like the interview from The IT Crowd. As long as you sound like you know what you are talking about you'll be fine. It's very sad that this actually IS the case. Qualifications for Network ....uhhh work. MCSE - however with Vista/Longhorn out it's going to be out of date straight away and it is very expensive CCNA - very good, highly reccomended if you can find a local college that offer it. The course will be <£600 for 1lesson/week for 39weeks and then ~£80 for the exam. Most of the others are just patronising and worthless IMHO
×
×
  • Create New...