-
Posts
73 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sraper
-
As this is for a Primary school we tighten down the Pupil logins as much as we can - just stop them messing around and to stay "on task" So hide drives A-D etc, hide the MS Store app, remove all settings/control panel from the Start Menu, remove the right click on a file, remove Task Manager from the "Ctrl Alt Delete" screen etc etc. However the more I think about this the more it "could" be a licensing issue. Basically for one more year the school are stuck in a multi-year deal on Office365 A3 deal. So what they did was to buy "Enterprise Mobility + Security E3" so that we could transistion the staff over to fully Entra (God I hate that name what was wrong with Azure AD!!!). However the Business manager got a deal for a few hundred Windows SE devices - which has just fallen through. However because of this the plan was to setup those new Windows SE devices (close to 200) for the children to use and we would also take the best 100 exisiting laptops and reimage those and join direct into AAD. All of this was going fairly well - had been hoping to use MDT to speed up process - but gave up and have been testing with just a standard Windows 11 iso with a deployment package to do the rest - about 20 minutes plus all the additional time to sign in and download apps from the cloud If however you are saying that we need an EMM license for EVERY pupil then it would seem that we will have to wait until next year when they can buy the full Microsoft 365 A3. As it appears that we dont get the "ratioed" student use benefit if we have Office 365 A + Enterprise Mobility + Security A3 that we would get if had Microsoft 365 A3??? God I hate Microsoft licensing
-
I cant think what else to try. User is a member of "ClassLogins". My CSPs are all assigned to "ClassLogins". I have created a policy set with 3 CSPs in it and assigned that to "ClassLogins". I have just now created a "Scope" tag and assigned that to Class Logins and changed the Scope on my CSPs and PolicySets to that new scope only. Still nothing being applied! My device CSPs are all working fine!
-
After some "playing" around yesterday I am still confused about the whole user side of CSPs. I can not get any user CSP to apply to the pupil accounts I am testing with. I can apply those CSPs to the device and then they apply to everyone who logs onto the device - which I do not want. If i have an account called say class1a and its a member of a security Group called "ClassLogins" then surely all I need to do is assign the security group "ClassLogins" to my user CSP and it should work. Is it because my user "class1a" is synced from an on premises AD and is not a pure MS Entra (AAD) account???
-
I had about this - which I think is daft! - if you cant guarantee the "tstate"/user experience of the device using CSPs - AT LOGON - whats the point of them? Yes in this case I would say that over 98% of the time the "pupil" laptops are going to be signed in by pupils so I could apply these CSPs to the device - but I do know that TAs use them. The staff machines would be the ones that worry me more as we deliberatly dont restrict staff as much as pupils - so if a pupil walks upto a staff device and signs on - then chaos could ensue!!!! However I did leave the test machines logged in as a pupil for maybe an hour and NO change!!!
-
One of the schools that I support has a traditional setup of Server with AD and group policies in place for many years. They have also have Office 365 setup and all accounts from AD are synced with Entra (formerly AAD!). So far so good. The school have planned to go with some new Windows SE devices running Windows 11 SE (another story about that saga) and so I have successfully imported many of their existing GPOs into various CSPs. That seemed to go ok. The existing hierachy of GPOs on the server are: We tend to have loads of "little" GPOs rather than 2 or 3 huge ones. So we have an "All Users" which has some key settings for everyone then specific ones in the OUs for Pupils and Class logins and individual logins and Staff etc which build on those - so obvious settings so that students cant see or mess with the C drive - while we trust staff to have C drive access ! Quite a few failed to import - mostly as setting not applicable. However more than enough did to use as the basis going forward. From what I can see I believe all the device scoped CSPs are applying correctly. However I can not work out what is happening with the user scoped CSPs. Even though I have assigned groups to relevant CSPs they are not being applied when the pupil logs in. What I have found is that the "All Users" CSP does seem to apply - or at least does for "staff" and the admin accounts - ones that I have assigned EMM licenses to - however if I log on as a "student" then nothing applies not even the "All Pupils" CSP which I have assigned to the relevant Security Groups. I am clearly doing something wrong - but I really cant see what!
-
For both Jamf and mosyle roughly how much per iPad per year?
-
I am used to supporting schools using Meraki MDM and have also used Lightspeed. However what other "cost effective" solutions are out there 1) Meraki MDM - I am comfortable with the UI - however I assume this is expensive for non LGfL/NGfL schools 2) Lightspeed - I have used in one school and find its user interface frustrating - i like the theory of the hierarchical nature of the interface - reminiscent of OUs in AD but navigating is a pain - I assume this was bought for the school as cheap? 3) JAMF - used once in a school to migrat them from JAMF to Meraki as they were moving to an LGfL connection 4) SimpleMDM - never used Would be for potentially 30+ ipads to start with
-
We believe we have resolved our issue. It was the backup software of all things The Backup software has a level of built in malware protection and somehow there was a conflict after above mentioned update KB5028166
-
What make model of server are you having problems with
-
I wish! I think we have nearly 10 schools affected now. Luckily they are mostly lgfl so can get around it using vnc via freedom2roam. But that is unpleasant 😞
-
No they are Dell servers - did look at the graphics drivers as had been old reports of issues with Matrox VGA drivers - pretty sure that it is not this causing the problem. All servers were working fine until updates listed in OP were installed - however issues do not start straight away but maybe a few days later. Sometimes rebooting the server will allow RDP to work for a short while before failing again.
-
no one else having problems with rdp'ing onto server 2022 with latest updates applied
-
I forgot to say that on servers that work (no update) that the version of C:\Windows\system32\termsrv.dll is 10.0.20348.1668. The version that does not work is 10.0.20348.1850
-
I am having an annoying issue with certain servers running Server 2022. This may or may not be relevant but all servers affected are in LGfL schools. I am unable to login using RDP this using either RDP from another machine on the same network in the school, or from another school (in LGfL) or via the LGfL RDP Gateway. Can still get on using Splashtop. This is the error I get It appears to be linked to update KB5028171 and specifically I would guess CVE-2023-32043 (as this references RDP). The problem is on some servers with KB5028171 it will continue to work for a week or so before it starts failing. Some servers we can roll back this update and yet at other schools it wont let us! On the servers where I can roll back the update it WILL FIX the problem - until the update is reinstalled
-
System icons disappearing from System Tray when switch windows 11 to 10
sraper replied to sraper's topic in Windows 10
Strange! Must be some weired side effect of one the many GPOs currently enabled at the school- 2 replies
-
- system tray
- windows 10
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I have 2 computers setup as Windows 11 (mine and a test one for staff). Whenever someone logs onto a Windows 11 PC and then logs onto a Windows 10 PC their Clock, Network and Volume icons have disappeared from the System Tray. The only way back is to go in Settings -> Personalisation -> Taskbar -> Turn System Icons on or off However this is only temporary! as soon as log off and back in they have gone again. This ONLY happens after they have logged in to one of the windows 11 PCs
- 2 replies
-
- system tray
- windows 10
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
At home on Edge I can use the Share feature either by the button on the toolbar (if enabled) or on the main menu. However at school you can see the window open and then close all by itself. I have checked in the GPO and it is set to enabled. I am sure this is most likely a permission issue or the unexpected side-effect of another GPO setting - but just cant see anything! This is using Edge version 84.0.522.40 on both Windows 10 1903 and 2004 Anyone had anything similar
-
[ipad] iPad ios 9.3.5 and GSuite apps saying they need an update...?
sraper replied to Koldov's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Just wasted an hour myself coming to this conclusion. Number of iPads. About half running 9.3.5 and the other half 12 something. All the odler ipads were showing an old version of Classroom. Tried to update them but nothing happened. To avoid confusion I have uninstalled Classroom off all iPads running 9.3.5 -
Have an annoying problem with this driver on windows 10. Have a number of different laptops and all-in-ones that appear to be using the Intel AC-7265 chipset. However I am getting numerous computers where the driver appears to be getting corrupted - either a driver update or a windows 10 update appears to be causing this. Sympton is that the device shows up with exclamation mark in Device manager. I have tried the following: - Update driver - automatically - download latest driver from both HP and Dell websites for the relevant model of PC - download latest driver from Intel All of these fail either "system cannot find the specified file" or "fatal error during installation". The only fix at the moment seems to be re-image the affected computers. We have over 100 computers that have this chipset and they are all seemingly succumbing to this issue. I have just changed group policy to block the install of device driver updates - hopefully this will stop more computers being affected. Has anyone else had the same or similar issues and do they know a quicker way to recover the driver other than re-imaging? I have just checked a re-imaged PC and the driver that is working is 19.51.8.3 Regards
-
Thankfully we are not a boarding school - but i have just realised there are two extra nice to have requirements: 1) Students financial accounts - tuition fees etc and how much they have made, when next payment due etc 2) Maintaining bus lists - with 600+ children we will be looking at 20 to 30 buses to manage
-
Hello I am working in a new private international school. At present, as we are small, we are using good old excel and google Apps as our MIS For September we are planning a big expansion - hopefully over 600 children (from Reception to Year 10) and therefore need a good system - especially for pupil registration, attendance etc. and ideally with behaviour management, assessments and reporting capabilities. A good timetabling module would be an added bonus. I have used and managed SIMS in my previous 'life' in the UK - but unless it has changed dramatically in the last 2 years would be looking for something that can work with many different devices - think iOS and Android tablets. Ideally something that is accessibly by teachers when they go home - so if they choose to the can update assessments etc. A few months ago I got a quote from Bromcom for their cloud hosted service - but after seeing some comments on the internet recently I am not sure if they are still 'alive'. Suggestions welcome Stuart
-
Hello, I have become involved in setting up a new International School in Iraq! I am trying to get my head around Microsoft licensing and would appreciate some advice on how much it will cost to licences MS products for a small school approx 10 FT staff and 120 students (though it is expected to grow rapidly). Need Desktop and server. I spoke to a friend who spoke to his normal MS reseller and was told they could not give a price for Iraq - not sure why as it is part of EMEA! Can anyone help?
