sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Getting staff to use an online helpdesk
sidewinder replied to fafster's topic in How do you do....it?
Wish we could get SMT to back ours...they support us having it but refuse to back us on it being the primary means to report a problem, they say phone should be first. For urgent problems, yes but some of the stuff we get called about takes the piss to be honest, and continually disturbs us So whether its successful in your school depends a lot on SMT -
netsvc should do it. I think its on the resource kit
-
Oh ok fair enough, cheers
-
Doesnt work here on either browser but Im not hugely surprised as we have the most restricted internet access after China thanks to our LEA
-
There used to be an Adobe page where it would tell you what exact version of flash and shockwave you had installed. Stupidly I didnt save the link and now when I search I cant get anything except the general 'test shockwave and flash' page It was quite useful and would be helpful now, as Im trying to get a bit of software to work that reckons I dont have version 8.5 or over of Shockwave, despite having at least 10.2
-
4. To give people the chance to go out and get pissed on the Sunday night Lets be honest, thats all everyone will use it for. Im in favour of any extra holidays, but if they think it will be used for rememberance at all they're sadly mistaken
-
why not just have photos on your phone? seems a bit pointless
-
At least shes getting help!! If she was appearing to be as bad as she was before you might have a point but shes visibly improving Anyway athletes are banned because it may enhance their performance. As singers arent competing in anything, who gives a shit what drugs they're doing? Its their choice if they want to use their money to f*ck their lives up. If it wasnt for our media obsessed world we would barely know she was doing anything anyway. No-one seemed too bothered when loads of rock stars were doing everything under the sun in the 60s/70s I just dont understand peoples obsession with Doherty's and Amy's drug taking. If you like them musically, cool. If you dont, why you even bothered in the slightest? They arnt hurting anyone but themselves
-
http://www.autogk.me.uk/ AutoGK Great program for converting to divx/xvid. Very, very simple and good results. Takes roughly 2 hours to convert an average length film on my Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86Ghz
-
Cheers! I downloaded Orca a while ago but didnt have a clue how to use it...lol So I just load the MSI up in it, then I can find the table that those values are in, and edit it?
-
I have never had a clue how to do this. It seems to be required by various pieces of software so its getting to the point where I do need to know Whenever I try and find help, it all goes over my head. I understand what a transform does, and how to apply it, but I can never find a guide on how to create one! Surely it can be done in some way without additional software? Or with free software? The only MSI software I have is Winstall LE which after reading on here somewhere, apparantly doesnt do it what do I need?? Im trying to deploy Java at the minute and it says: "If you want to register the JRE as the default virtual machine of Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and Netscape browsers, you will have to create a transform that sets the variables IEXPLORER, MOZILLA, and NETSCAPE6 to 1 in the Property.idt table. " Tables? I always thought MST's were just text files with certain options in them? Is the above easy to do if you have the software?
-
Just messing about with a spare PC to use as a test box and needed to put a SATA hard disk in so changed the PSU for one that has SATA power connectors. The new PSU also has the extra 4 pin part that fits next to the main power connector, which is present on this motherboard, but was not connected with the old PSU. Do I need to use this? There is also the additional P4 4 pin power cable present both on the PSU and motherboard. So do I need both? or just 1? What do the extra 4 pins on the main connector actually do?
-
Would recommend VNCScan too, very good Just a shame its based in the US because its taking forever to get it purchased
-
Throughly recommend ADSL24 (an Entanet reseller) Decent speeds and wonderful, personal, quick service. Phone answered instantly and I think theres only a couple of guys that deal with it, so you dont end up with a different person every time who doesnt have a clue about your problem. I havent been able to find anyone saying a bad word about them Thanks to them and BT, Ive been able to get online within 10 days of moving to my new flat...wasnt even supposed to be activated till Friday, but got my router yesterday, plugged it in and it all works
-
^ that looks good..but does it just go ahead and delete any that arnt a home directory or just notify you which folders arent? Because there may be a few folders that because people have left, need to be saved somewhere else, not just deleted Though it is all backed up I suppose
-
Cool, didnt realise it was being released so soon! Downloading the final version from Technet now..will put it on a physical test box rather than a VM now
-
Guidance making a ghost boot disc with netbootdisk.com
sidewinder replied to FN-GM's topic in How do you do....it?
not sure what the adjustments are because it accesses a share on one of my server 2003 servers no problem! I created a 'ghost' user in AD, and gave it full control over the folder with the exe in -
Outtolunch you were right - as of this morning I was able to order Gone with ADSL24, order submitted to BT wholesale so should be online next friday! Apart from the wait, this has gone remarkably smoothly...perhaps too smoothly
-
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Yeah all looks fine now, cheers Edit: apart from the smilies and post icons..but no big deal -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Related to this, not sure why it didnt happen before, but recently, I cant see any images, as they are still all linking from http://www.edugeek.net/forums which is all blocked for me. Im using the site on http://www.edugeek.net/frms Every page looks an absolute mess for me. Not so bad in firefox as it doesnt display red x's but still alternate text all over the place Attached a pic -
My flatmate bought it for his PS3 and Ive been playing it more than him Bloody love it, its so much fun...and we havent even got the internet yet to try it online! Graphics are amazing Im about 20% through it with 12 cars I think
-
My school was .local when I got here and never had any problems so not planning to change anytime soon! I suppose we should use our assigned domain but our website is hosted by the LEA so we have no control over that domain, and our sch.uk one redirects to some secondary schools online site so dunno if we have control over that or not Actually after saying no problems with .local....theres one slight one in that the Macs get a bit confused because the server is called xxxx.local and it seems to bring up our domain.local sometimes instead..might just have been the way it was set up before I got here though
-
Yeah that is pretty much the exact situation, and I suspect the last guy did cancel it quite late Thanks, will be patient for a few days then. Just so annoying not having any home internet! lol
-
Never set up ADSL before, always been with Virgin cable. Basically, I called BT on Monday to have a line activated and get a new phone number. I got that, and they said it would be activated today (wednesday) So I go to try and sign up for broadband (thats all I wanted the line for) and wherever I go and check my number I get The telephone number xxxxxxxxxx currently has an ADSL cease order in progress. You will not be able to sign up to us until this cease has completed. Now I dont know what an ADSL cease order is (anyone?) but it doesnt sound like something that should be on a new number?! Or is there a chance that the number hasnt actually been activated yet and its still assigned to somewhere else? Im going to call BT late in the day so they wont just say "try again later" but just wondered if anyone knew?
-
Wow, this is a much more interesting thread than I thought it would be when I opened it! Learnt a fair bit about why RBC's have things set up the way they do. I agree for smaller schools it is probably better to use their assigned IP range, especially if they havent got any IT staff, and mainly because 255 addresses will be plenty for them. But for a school like us, we're assigned 255 and we have 800 computers, 80 printers, 30 odd switches, 50 access points + various other devices which need IP addresses. So even if we were given a larger range we could still struggle, because to give us a bit of headroom we would need 5x the addresses we currently have, and I cant see that being given to us. We run an ISA server and we have total freedom on what IP ranges we can use, and never have to worry about running out. Plus we have the benefit of having some control of what goes in and out of our network. Downsides are that when new things are introduced on the WAN, everyone expects them to just 'work', which they would if the we did things the 'proper' way...but it normally requires a bit of testing. Also, as someone said, private address ranges are used on the WAN, and we have had a few small problems - one I can remember is that a Citrix server that someone was trying to connect to had the same IP as one of our printers... And of course, because they know we have an ISA server and arent really happy about it, whenever we enquire about problems with the internet they always say its just our internal problem until other schools start to phone up Positives outweigh the negatives for me though
