Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Excellent, cheers lol I had to email that to myself since I browse the forum on an external VM to get round filtering, and Ive spent a good half hour having to keep logging on and seeing which bit the bloody webmail had decided to insert random formatting in! But is now working nicely. Will have to make a bit of a change over summer, as currently My Docs is redirected to the students home drive path, but thats easy enough to sort. Couple more things: Have you got the script to create the home folders and set permissions on the Mac server? I used to use a program called Passenger but I dont think it was free and Ill be buggered if I can find the setup for it anymore Lastly, not a big problem, but im interested: how come I cant browse to the Mac shares from Windows? I cant do it when Im logged on, I cant do it with a logon script, nothing. Even though the sharepoint is set up with SMB as well as AFP. Surely I should just be able to put \\ks-macsrv\homes and browse to it from XP assuming permissions are correct?
  2. OK sorted it...it was my own stupidity Our Mac server is called KS-MACSRV, and we have another server called KS-APPSRV - guess which one I had put in the home drive path..... So it all works now. But it doesnt half take a long time to log in. Probably about 40 seconds stuck with the logon box greyed out before it finally starts loading the desktop. Is that normal? So permission wise Ive got the student group with read access on the share point, and then the individual user has full control on their own folder, same as I do on my Windows network. So the main thing I need to do now, is be able to redirect Windows clients back to their My Documents when on a PC Thankyou for the help btw DmMcCoy
  3. Damn...actually got surprisingly far with this in a few hours but now Im stuck. Overview: Ive setup OD on the Mac server, and binded that to AD Ive binded the client to both OD and AD Tried logging in with domain users, all works fine, group prefs work etc. But Im stuck on having the home directories on the Mac server. I pretty much followed the AD-OD Sandbox guide that was posted a while back. Installed AFP, created a new share called home, and created a folder for my test user. Gave that user read and write access. Then set on the client under directory utility>services>active directory>advanced 'Network protocol to be use' to AFP and unticked 'Force local home directory on startup disk' Changed the home directory path in AD But now I cant log in with that test user (or any user). I just get the message 'You are unable to log in to the user account 'student' at this time. Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred' What could I have done wrong? What is the OSX equivelent of event viewer so I could see exactly whats causing the error?
  4. 23rd here! Stupidly said I'd come in on the 24th tho but then off to Spain WOO
  5. FINALLY I get a chance to have a look at this again...and all I have to do is get it working for September!! Thanks, that is very helpful. Im going to get through as much as I can but I will probably get stuck somewhere. Dont suppose you would mind sharing your scripts would you? Both the My Docs redirection and the OSX folder creation ones. Also, first quick test, added a mac client to AD, seemed to be fine, let me log in with my AD username....but the home drive hasnt mapped...how come? I can get to my docs, as under shared, the 'IT' share has mapped (no idea why) so I can manually get to it, but just wondering. Not that it matters too much because I want the home drive on the Mac server anyway Edit: ignore the last bit...just noticed it puts it in the dock!
  6. Yeah just install the patch and continue using Zonealarm if you want. Personally, I just use the Windows one + common sense. Never had any problems yet.
  7. But its exactly the same as meeting someone in a bar/at a bus stop/whatever - you're meeting a strange who you may or may not be compatible with, however with online dating you at least have a rough idea of whether you're likely to get on, which is an advantage in my eyes Cant see whats so strange about it. Not as if only geeky girls are on there either!
  8. This is all I use in a script \\server\apps$\testbase\Workstation\activex.exe /silent copy \\server\apps$\testbase\Workstation\exampro32.ini C:\Windows activex.exe is just the button b.exe or whatever it is that ive renamed I find it funny that theres such a big thread on this. If I had to rank software by how much trouble it gave me, Testbase would be near the bottom, very simple. Even if a teacher wants it on a PC that doesnt have the GPO assigned to it, they just click a shortcut to the install script in their start menu Then just put shortcuts in their start menu to all the different Testbase products on the server - testbase, exampro, examwizard for maths and science Never had a request to install it on a standalone laptop but if I did I'd just amend the script to copy the data files down too and some amended shortcuts
  9. If any teacher tries to buy this for your school - PUT THEM OFF Possibly the worst installation procedure I have ever seen, once installed it needs an overly complicated activation procedure (also if you do a reinstall, you get stuck in a loop in which you cant put the details in on the website but it also wont let you download the existing activation file) and it installs in an extremely messy way - when the installed product has an empty folder called 'new folder' installed with it, you worry about the quality... Worst of all, it just doesnt work! It looks like the program uses the web browser but helpfully puts its own UI over IE's but just uses the engine...which is the least helpful thing in the world when you start the software and get 'Page can not be displayed' - you dont even know what file its trying to access! Has anyone else used this and can help me? One of the tech teachers is continually nagging for me to get it working, and apparantly he chatted with their tech support and got 'we dont normally hear of any problems' - BS
  10. Ive finally got the relevant username/passwords to finish setting this up But no client software (Connect Station). No download link for it, nothing. Have emailed them but as they take about 3 days to reply, if anyone knows how Im supposed to get it I'd love to know The FTP site they gave me just has the Connect Control installer, nothing else, and Ill be buggered if I can find the client installer in there anywhere
  11. I was always under the impression that if say you have a file inside a folder on the network, that you want a whole group to read, and a few members of that group to write to, you assign the group read and execute on the folder (which propagates to the file inside) and then add the members you want to have write access to the ACL on the file itself. So why doesnt this work? I've got a folder with about 6 different booking diaries in it. Only a few teachers are permitted to edit each one (and they are mostly different teachers for each) so I did the above, but I also have to add every single staff member that needs to edit *any* of the files to the permissions for the folder. I then have to go through every file and turn off propagation of permissions so that I can remove the ones that arn't allowed to access a specific file. I must be missing something, there must be a better way? Is it because the most restrictive permisson always applies? But if it is, why does it work fine with their group only being able to read at folder level but their user account permissions take precedence then? Sorry if Ive written this a bit confusingly lol
  12. Watch out with the 2015 for the bug that makes it keep reverting to DHCP randomly. Gets pretty annoying. Apparantly there is a firmware update now, not sure if it fixes it
  13. Kids are mandatory, staff are all roaming
  14. Last few days Ive had to recreate some IEP's from word files, so a lot of copying and pasting being done. Yesterday, randomly while doing it, I pasted what was meant to be part of the IEP but came out as a [email protected] email address! Put it down to a weird one off, but it just happened again! Copied someones name, ended up pasting a long line about one of the teachers here, presumably from someone writing an appraisal or something. Anyone got any idea what could be going on?
  15. Ive never seen much point in switching energy suppliers all the time, all will have to pass on increases in energy prices sooner or later Probably better to switch to a green supplier like Ecotricity and at least you know your bills are going towards funding renewables.
  16. well the thing is that the teacher does actually have the photos still...she just wants to throw them out for some reason :s I reckon she might be better off scanning the pics directly then as long as they're in good condition?
  17. Had a request recently for a PC in one of the science prep rooms We mentioned that they already had a laptop in there, whats wrong with using that? So a teacher (whose classroom PC they were trying to take) went and asked them and the response was "The laptop doesnt work but they didnt want to report it in case you took it away" LOL so they've just sat there with a non-working laptop for god knows how long. Yeah thats a lot better than no laptop at all
  18. Bloody projectors
  19. A teacher wants to use ours, we have a HP Scanjet 5590 with a quite hefty looking negative attachment. Havent got any negatives these days to try though, so in anyones experiance do they tend to work pretty well?
  20. Im sorry but she clearly wasnt!! Have you come across sarcasm before? Its a rather popular type of humour that comes across as serious but actually isnt I know I really shouldnt care about this, but there is just no way someone would answer that and be genuinely serious about it I cant believe you actually asked her about it! It was a flippant, mildly humourous remark!
  21. DNS was fine But authenticated users were not there. Added them and Smartboard has just installed fine . So cheers Basic stuff I know, but brain is not working properly today
  22. lol nah, even Im not that dopey Old server died anyway so nothing could be moved I will check DNS and add authenticated users
  23. Im fairly sure they WERNT being serious.... Its a mildly amusing joke. Would have got a slight chuckle out of me if Id heard it
  24. Just as I thought I couldnt run into any more problems sorting out the new server, Ive found another I cant see to deploy any MSI, whatever it is. I initially spent ages with a net framework one wondering what was wrong with it, but now the same has happened when I try and deploy Smartboard software and Read And Write Gold. Every time, in the event log I just get :The installtion source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and you can access it Im assuming its a permissions issue? SYSTEM has full control on all the folders with the MSI's in, I thought that was all you needed? All of them worked fine from the old server
  25. I was always under the impression and have read on several sites that the higher the gear the better. If I drove my car in 3rd at 30 it would sound awful and the revs would be in the red almost. I always drive it in 5th at that speed, occasionally 4th
×
×
  • Create New...