Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. No, well it could be but one of the clients affected was replaced with a brand new PC (not because of this!) and a brand new image (yes sysprepped) and the issue still occurs. The fact it seems to be the same areas though is curious, though it certainly isn't all clients on a certain switch or anything like that. Having checked a few problematic clients this morning, the records actually seem to have stayed since Monday which is unusual. Only thing I changed then was to update the DNS dynamic update credentials in DHCP - it was already set but I re-input the password in case the service account password had changed...so fingers crossed.
  2. Thanks, yeah only setup on the primary DC currently
  3. OK this is still happening and it is driving me insane. 90% of clients register perfectly, but some STILL refuse. The DNS record completely disappears for these clients unless I do a manual update. ALL of our DNS servers have the correct IPs configured so they point at different servers, it isn't that anymore. I really have had enough of this now, it's just ridiculous.
  4. Yeah Remote Desktop is most staff's preferred method of working from home (and mine, by a mile) so would never really think of changing here.
  5. Just call them, this is one time where it is definitely the better option, as stated by numerous people in the past here. I was sorted in 5 minutes and the keys appeared almost instantly
  6. Thanks, missed this reply sorry. Sadly using the Intel GUI didn't cure the problem.
  7. Thanks, will give that a try. Yes all but one of the machines connected to the Clevertouches are the same model, brand new PCs.
  8. We have a number of interactive displays in the school, for which we use HDMI and VGA/DVI for the monitor. We use the internal Windows screen duplication to mirror them - zero problems apart from this one. I have one room where randomly (not always) when the display is turned on, the setting changes to 'Show desktop only on display 1' rather than 'Duplicate these displays' - every other computer remembers this fine except this one. The display is a Clevertouch but we have 4 others of the same brand and this is the only room which is affected. Is there a registry setting to FORCE Windows to always duplicate displays when more than one is connected?
  9. Just have my Macbook, a small PC under the TV for Kodi and a work laptop which rarely gets used. Long gone are the days where I needed or wanted a lot of equipment at home.
  10. I use Meraki and when I 'retire' a user it says all assigned licences will be removed from their purchase history after a grace period of 30 days and reassigned to the school. Or you can revoke licences per app for a user. I'll be honest I've never kept an eye on whether the licence count does go up again but it must do or we would have run out of licences of apps we push to all staff iPads Edit: also I agree with your views on restrictions (aside from local admin on PCs). There is no reason for me to be difficult or restrict staff unless it undermines the security of the network. They sign an AUP, it's not up to me to enforce they stick to that by imposing restrictions. Some views on this forum perplex me at times. I work at an independent school though and staff are generally given a fair amount of freedom and trust.
  11. All teachers have one here, they can use their own Apple ID's though most choose to create a new one with their school email which we do encourage just in case overly personal photos end up on their school iPad via photostream or vice versa with pupil photos. No restriction on apps, if they want school ones purchased then I buy them with VPP and assign them to their Apple ID, taking them away if they leave of course. To be honest, most staff already have a personal iPad and so rarely use the school ones for that, those that do it's just iPlayer and stuff from what I've seen. The level of risk is low and so I spend very little time administering or monitoring them
  12. Courier would be fine as long as we don't have to pack them up or anything our end, because frankly I have nothing to pack them in!
  13. Got a few here taking up room, 1x 580 and 2x 660's (I think) With pen trays and pens. All spare from being replaced with interactive displays and it would be nice if they could get some use somewhere. Can't guarantee they work but they all did when taken down a year or two ago. Collection from Richmond, SW London
  14. MS are taking the p1ss now. I like W10, and I think people should upgrade, but they have got more and more desperate with their measures - this latest one really is unacceptable. I totally understand why they want as many people as possible on W10 but all their methods have done is make people distrust them and the OS
  15. Funny, I was coming into this subforum specifically to post something very similar! We're having issues with just about all of the 4065's and the 2 6065's we have. Already had one panel replaced by Steljes which was an absolute nightmare - they claimed it hadn't been installed properly and left it on the floor, forcing our AV supplier to come and re-fit it (it had been fitted safely). After all that, there are still the same problems. And I've also been told about the Smart/Steljes feud so sounds like they won't be supporting us anymore (not that we really want them to after that) I'm at my wits end with them. They work perfectly sometimes, but other times, teachers writing just stops being detected, or certain dead spots appear. I was wondering if we are doing something wrong with them but obviously not. Certainly will never ever buy another SMART panel
  16. I'd say recipes are one of the few things which don't date with time. Also most people don't find them from the BBC site itself, they'll get them from Google searches
  17. ^ Agree totally. This today has p*ssed me off (not that the other cuts haven't) mostly because it's just so utterly pointless. If they had to stop providing new recipes then it would just about be understandable (though not really as most are from their cooking shows and how much really does it cost for someone to write it up and then the BBC to host it?) but why remove or even archive something which is useful and costs a minimal amount to keep going? The saddest thing is that reading the comments in the Guardian story of this, while most agree with us, some just don't get it. They have the same irrational hate of the BBC as the Tories and are convinced that 'the market' can cater for everything. Seriously why does everything have to be about profit? How can people be so short sighted?
  18. Another vote for BackWPUp
  19. I currently backup everything with Veeam to a NAS in another part of the site, and then tend to connect a USB drive to the NAS and do a backup copy job to there. I't doesn't copy every VM, only critical ones since the drive isn't the biggest (2Tb). After a while though it appears I've perhaps specified too many restore points as it is running out of space and the job is failing - but how do you correct this? How do I delete a restore point? I've reduced the number but that does nothing. I even manually deleted an incremental backup file but the job still fails. I've looked everywhere and am a bit stuck. Even on the NAS, which has plenty of space, Veeam seems to exponentially grow (a lot more than the actual size of our backups does) so the problem may occur on here in future too.
  20. Just realised when looking through my posts that I never replied to this. All your suggestions worked and I haven't had a single problem with clients not updating records since this. Thanks
  21. My school is looking to purchase a laptop for a child with special needs. What the parent has come back with is a HP Stream 11, with it's beefy Celeron, 2GB RAM and 32G eMMC. I'm sure these machines are just about capable for home use (though I wouldnt fancy using one) but in school I can just seeing it being a constant PITA for me to support. Bear in mind they want this to last at least 3 years! I've pretty much said no to it, and they are going to have to spend a bit more. Does anyone have any suggestions? Needs to be either 11 or 13" at the most, and between £200 and £300...refurbs happily considered! I've found this from ICT Direct - http://www.ict-direct.co.uk/refurbished-laptops-schools/laptops/lenovo-x201-refurbished-core-i5-notebook-9568.html which would be so, so much better but I don't think it would be popular since Thinkpads are pretty ugly.
  22. Here's an excerpt of mine. Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") Set oPrinters = WshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections Dim computerName computerName = LCase(WshNetwork.ComputerName) ' Degugging line> WScript.Echo "ComputerName variable: " & computerName ' Delete existing connections to network printers For i = 0 To oPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2 On Error Resume Next If Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "lpt" And Left(oPrinters.Item(i), 3) <> "usb" Then WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection oPrinters.Item(i+1), True, True Else WScript.Echo "No network printers found" End If Next ' Add printer connections dependant upon location Select Case (Left(computerName, 9)) Case "sd-sports" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\sd-print\sports-mono" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\sd-print\sports-mono" Case Else 'WScript.Echo "No default printers added" End Select Select Case (computerName) Case "headsoff" WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\sd-print\office-mono" Case "computername" WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "hp LaserJet 1010 HB" Case Else 'WScript.Echo "No default printers added" End Select
  23. Yeah VBScript here too, used it for years and years and still will as long as it works
  24. My school is mostly Netgear now, with the exception of a few ancient 3Com's which are going this year. Got a GSM7328 and GSM7352 stacked at the core and M4100-50G and 24G at the edges. Been rock solid for years. For a school like ours, with less than 200 PCs but multiple sites and buildings (and so more switches) I just couldn't justify paying for HP
  25. I do a similar thing for a similar reason as elsiegree. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick - it's not so someone could read my emails if I left, it's more so my successor wouldn't have to go around changing the registered email on 1001 online accounts and so suppliers etc can keep emailing as they always would to the new person - just direct the email address to the new persons mailbox. I still use my personal address for most things. For leaving emails I'd do what I did when someone covered for me for 18 months - move anything useful or important into a seperate PST and leave them that. And then my mailbox would be emptied. I have around 15 email aliases as the lone IT person here. But the main ones I use are networkmanager@ and itsupport@
×
×
  • Create New...