Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have just setup our NED box and integrated it with AD. All is fine with that, PCs and Laptops are filtering as they should with students and staff.

I went to check one of the ipads and access a known blocked site using an authenitcated student to find that it bypasses the NED box blacklist and routes directly out!!

 

I have noticed there is no setting on an ipad to specify the auto config script, it only allows me to input proxy server setting.

 

Our main issue with this is that we are in the middle of writing an AUP to allow YouTube access to in our school. This would be then filtered at the NED to only allow access to staff, and block for all students, but if the NED can't filter ipads then we cannot go forward with this!

 

we have around 40 ipads, plus more are due to be rolled out in the up and coming months.

 

Has anybody got this working? Anybody found a workaround? I am better off scrapping the NED and buying in a more inteligent Web filter such as sophos??

Edited by KarlBlacklock
Posted

Having found an old thread, I have put in the DNS name of the NED box as the Proxy server, enabled authentication and this seems to work for now. Has anybody else applied this?

I know in all of CLEO's documentation it says not to use this, but if it works then I'll use ut!!!

Posted
Has anybody got this working? Anybody found a workaround? I am better off scrapping the NED and buying in a more inteligent Web filter such as sophos??

 

Sophos?

 

I'd have thought something like Smoothwall would have been better.......?

Posted

I have found a workaround for this. In the Manual proxy settings for the Ipad, I input the local DNS name for the NED box, turn authenitcation on, and input the username and password for the user.

 

This causes the iPad to follow NED filtering policies according to the username you have used

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...