randle Posted June 11, 2007 Posted June 11, 2007 Does anyone know of a WMP11 msi that works well over a network. I have created one using the Microsoft EDP for Windows Media Player which worked well initially but for some reason now request students to validate the player. When they click ok it says that i do not have a valid version of Windows!!! This obviously is not the case. This will validate fine for admin btw. Again i do not understand why this has stopped working as this had been fine for some time.
randle Posted June 11, 2007 Author Posted June 11, 2007 I have found this article which isn't helpful in resolution but may explain a few things. http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1101658&SiteID=25 Back to the drawing board then unless anyone knows of a solution!?
randle Posted July 2, 2007 Author Posted July 2, 2007 Has anyone had any luck with a wmp11 msi yet? I could really do with one that deploys "hands free"
randle Posted July 2, 2007 Author Posted July 2, 2007 I have an RM CC3 network so this is not an option unfortunately. Would be easier i agree but then i wouldn't get the benefits of site wide uninstallations without it.
Ric_ Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 @randle: Why isn't WSUS an option on a CC3 network... it's only a means of delivering patches. IIRC WSUS 3 can do installations of patches too. Just out of interest, why do you want to install WMP11? AFAIK there are some very strict DRM policies built in and no real increase in functinality - especially not for a school environment.
eean Posted July 2, 2007 Posted July 2, 2007 Just out of interest, why do you want to install WMP11? AFAIK there are some very strict DRM policies built in and no real increase in functinality - especially not for a school environment. I have had lots of complaints about media player 11 crashing, although it only effects specific machines. I think (because I haven't tested it properly) this wasn't a problem with media player 9. It installed itself via wsus, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I'm probably going to remove it.
randle Posted July 3, 2007 Author Posted July 3, 2007 @Ric_: Patches, hotfixes and general apps are delivered using RM's own methods (via msi deployment only) mainly due to having to test everything for compatability with RM components so deployment via WSUS would bypass this whole process. I updated at the beginning of the year just to keep upto date with changes and for some time it worked with no problems whatsoever but have recently had a validation problem with students - Security permissions restricts them from validating this thus causing a big issue. I have done some research and found that this validation cannot be bypassed legitimately at the moment making mass deployment useless so am now looking to remove this although a rollback is not performed when the msi is uninstalled...again i'm stuck. I'm now resorting to compiling a Autoit script to run the wmp11 spuninst.exe file which removes this but am having problems automating all button responses at the mo
Finding_Scotty Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 Did anyone get anywhere with the validation problem? Just encountered it on our cc3 network with RM's msi...
bizzel Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 CC3 networks can use WSUS just fine, it's just that you're not supposed to because all the patches and updates go through RM first before they make them available as CC3 packages on their site. I'm not sure what RM would do if you were using WSUS, they may not support you any longer since you'd be using "non RM patches".
Finding_Scotty Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 Just logged it with RM, apparently it was a problem they'd already encountered and then fixed on their msi when they released it... but obviously hasn't in our case - they're looking into it now anyway, will keep u posted.
Mr_M_Cox Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 In order to deply media player 11 you need to download the Microsoft Enterprise Deployment Pack for WIndows Media Player. It says that it only supports version 10 but you can trick it into doing media player 11. see link below for advice. I have done it myself and it works a treat. Need a distributable MSI for WMP11 - Media Technology Just rename the file and away you go!
mac_shinobi Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 Not sure if this is of any help or use but I just got windows media player classic ( since it supports a lot of formats ) and used advanced installer to make an msi of that and just pushed that out via gpo.
Michael Posted May 23, 2008 Posted May 23, 2008 I use this method to install MP11 silently and I've never had any problems. Download MP11 from Microsoft, then open and extract it using a tool like WinRAR. You can then run the following script to install MP11 silently: @echo off TITLE Installing Windows Media Player 11 echo. echo Installing Windows Media Player 11 Part 1... \\SHARENAME\wmfdist11.exe /quiet /passive /norestart echo. echo Installing Windows Media Player 11 Part 2... \\SHARENAME\wmp11.exe /quiet /passive /norestart
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now