Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

domain permissions problem - check my logic please!


Recommended Posts

Posted

OK odd problem!

 

Using BGinfo to set the desktop with some info on pupil login, works perfectly except on computers that haven't been imaged/reinstalled in the past 1year +

 

However I get an errpr with pupils not having access to the windows folder so BGinfo can't write the background.

 

On all the images I've done, every single one it works perfectly. But what I'm thinking is that the older ones were moved onto our new domain about a year ago and thus might well have some old NT4 permissions floating about or causing conflicts.

 

Sounds feasable?

 

I've checked the actual permissions in users/groups locally and they seem fine, tried changing them but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm guessing it's a gpedit.msc permission or a previous setting setup on the NT4 server that's causing the problem.

 

Oddly I have the same image and recently remade it, this works fine. But if I try an identical computer that came from our old domain it doesn't work.

 

I only had 30 mins to checked this out today but it really got on my nerves :D

 

Ps I was using a completely new user who never existed on the previous domain as I wanted to rule out cached profiles, although in hindsight it might be a problem with the default user profile!

Posted

Have you tried changing the location where BGInfo writes its images? It is possible that you can change it to go to the profile path or maybe to the users document folder?

 

fooby

Posted

Fooby - you're a genius mate, no idea why I didn't think of that on Friday!

 

Having said that I hadn't realised there was the option to do that (there is - it's under the bitmap menu)

 

:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...