cpjitservices Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Having only built our Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 network less than a year ago I don't think I'm going to be moving over to win 8 or server 2012 anytime soon!, especially since I've heard that server 2012 has the metro interface and I cant imagine how that's going to work on a server! Personally, I think MS have started this game too soon with Windows 8! I think it's great for the tablets / phones but I think they should hold off on the deployment of win 8 for desktops - that is if that's what they are planning! So whats everyone doing with Server 08 ? I'm sticking with it! As for desktops - I think I'll stick with 7 for now but ultimately I think I'm going to try and move everyone over to Ubuntu / Debian. Whats everyone else think ?
FN-GM Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Well it doesn’t matter what interface you have on a server as you should really be working using remote consoles. Infact in 2012 i wont be installing a GUI. I was told by a Microsoft chap last week that the start menu can be turned back on in w8 in the final release. 2
sted Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 we can only hope the start menu will come back. Server 2012 has some nice features in it (dedupe/better hyperv/turn gui on/off if needed). Personally im leaving it on as sometimes i find i need to work on a server as their arnt any spare workstations. windows 8 as it stands without a start menu its a tablet os and @%$£ you if you want to use a mouse or keyboard is my opinion its ok BUT forget it on netbook res isnt high enough to run metro apps (1024x768 absolute min iirc) i can see me using 2012 server i cant see anyone wanting win8 unless they have a touch interface so i suspect its going to go the way of vista/me
Arthur Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I've heard that Server 2012 has the metro interface Not entirely true. You only get the Metro start screen if you install the 'Desktop Experience' feature. http://i.imgur.com/AME3Y.png I was told by a Microsoft chap last week that the start menu can be turned back on in w8 in the final release. Extremely unlikely IMO. 1
mthomas08 Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 We will be sticking to what we have here at the moment, Windows 2008 R2 servers and Windows 7 machines. Although if the handheld devices are really that good with windows 8 we may buy a few to see if they really are that good. We will buy one to have sitting there for the iPad lovers who walk in and say they must have one. If it does everything we want then we can say here have this its better and will actually work with everything without the need to go the extra 10 miles for it and you wont need your laptop no more.
jamesfed Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Going Server 2012 on our Hyper-V server as soon as it comes out - are intending on migrating whole network over to 2012 in the summer of next year.
PiqueABoo Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I do wish MS would RTM stuff at Easter instead of autumn. Unless anyone knows better, 2012 is due in the "autumn" and I wouldn't use it in production until a few months afterwards - so that's after xmas next year and more often than not for obvious reasons, next summer.
carmeruk Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 (edited) I can't see how Win 8 is going to work without a more traditional desktop experience. It's just too much work for me let alone the average user. I can't see MS shooting themselves in the foot this way. Left unaddressed this will wipe them off the desktop. Paradoxically, I'm liking 2012. It's got a some neat features I'd like to use. However the rationale for migration is diminished by the fact that 8 is basically unusable as a desktop at the moment. Shame really as 8 would be ok if there was a Start menu. Edited June 14, 2012 by carmeruk
Modey Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I can't see how Win 8 is going to work without a more traditional desktop experience. It's just too much work for me let alone the average user. I can't see MS shooting themselves in the foot this way. Left unaddressed this will wipe them off the desktop. Paradoxically, I'm liking 2012. It's got a some neat features I'd like to use. However the rationale for migration is diminished by the fact that 8 is basically unusable as a desktop at the moment. Shame really as 8 would be ok if there was a Start menu. Agreed. I put the 2012 RC on to an old server the other day and took an instant dislike to the interface. I guess I would end up using it to use the new Hyper-V features and stick to using a remote Hyper-V console ...
SYNACK Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I'm likeing the Hypte-V features and especially dedupe so a couple of our servers at each place at least will end up running it but I won't be dropping the RTM into production immediatly. I'll mess about with it on some less mission critical stuff for a while after RTM before making the switch.
ict_support Posted June 20, 2012 Posted June 20, 2012 Windows server 2012 with a metro interface. Just what I have always wanted a tablet server...
sidewinder Posted June 20, 2012 Posted June 20, 2012 Haven't got a problem with updating to Server 2012, will probably do it next year as well. Windows 8, for all the obvious reasons, probably not. Especially as only deploying 7 this summer.
Sagima Posted June 20, 2012 Posted June 20, 2012 We're probably going to upgrade our hyper-v servers as soon as we can and maybe the DCs after that. Once they're done I can se us just replacing it as and when we upgrade our other servers. Almost everything is done in console now - might even go as far as to not install the gui and see how I go.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now