googlemad Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 We have a quote for 3 systems, i5, G620 or E6600 I would think the i5 is overkill for our needs (In most locations your basic Office / Internet / MIS systems etc) - However there is only a £20 difference between the G620 and E6600 and the G620 comes with double the RAM (4GB rather than 2GB). The plan is for SSD drives too. Any suggestions? I've never heard of the 'G' line of Intel processors!
3s-gtech Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 The E6600 is very old now (though still usable). i5 is nice, if you want to get more years from the machine it may be worth the extra. Otherwise, the G620 (Pentium, low end Sandy Bridge with less cache etc). Perhaps an i3 would be a good balance if you can get some quoted.
Michael Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 In this situation I would go with the G620 and 4GB of memory, but I would also get a quote for i3's. I've installed many of these and they are very quick. Just make sure they're properly imaged so none of the standard OEM carp is installed.
localzuk Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 The difference between those chips is much like the difference between a Ferrari, a BMW 5 series and a Skoda Fabia Diesel... Personally, I'd say the G620 is the choice one, but would question why they've put that chip in rather than an i3? The i3 has a larger set of features built in such as Hyperthreading and AVX. I'd be looking for an i3 personally.
round2it Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 cheapest i5 i have found is this one Fujitsu Esprimo E400 Small Form Factor PC / Intel Core i5 2320 / 4GB / 500GB / DVD+-RW / Windows 7 Professional / 1 Year Warranty (VFY:E0400PF051GB) - www.misco.co.uk 399ex vat
googlemad Posted May 15, 2012 Author Posted May 15, 2012 Thanks, I'll see about the i3 route (Should be able to get some quoted as we did get some i3 systems from this supplier a couple of years back!)
PotNoodleTech Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 Running a lot of G620s here (the 35w version) and they offer outstanding performance per running costs. Such low electricity usage, cheap to buy. Only move to I3/I5's if you are definatly using applications that make good use of multiple threads (photo/sound/video editing) otherwise having 4 or 8 threads in each workstations is a waste of time and energy.
flyinghaggis Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 I'd stay away from the E6600 as it's pretty dated. i3 is definitely the way to go unless costs are really tight.
dgsmith Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 I am guessing the E6600 is the Pentium 3ghz one and not the much older Core2 2.4ghz one? It isn't actually "really dated", in fact was released only just over 2 years ago, and only a year before the G620. In saying that, it's on old core 2 wolfdale technology and the G620, whilst slower in actual clock speed, would still outperform it. We are hoping, when we next buy new machines, to go for i3 processors. I don't think the current Pentium lineup will be quite good enough in the years looking forward (seeing as we seem to be on a 7-8 year cycle now)! and the i5 CPUs are out of our budget reach.
gshaw Posted May 15, 2012 Posted May 15, 2012 We bought E6600s 5 years ago so amazed it's still available. Go for i3 + SSD if you can get it
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now