Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

We have sophos enterprise manager installed across our domain network, however there are a few PCs scattered around the school that cannot be on the domain for various reasons. They are connected physically to the network for internet, but not on the domain.

 

Is there any way at all of getting sophos to install and update from the server on these standalone PCs?

 

I don't want to leave these PCs unprotected :(. I'm guessing the answer is no though.

Posted
You can set them to connect and get updates via the internet i think. Similar to laptops updating while away from the school. but not 100% sure
Posted

The answer is yes. I have a couple of machines on our workshop network in that position.

Run a a manual installation on each machine over the network from the same CID that you use for domain machines. At the start of the install, you will be asked for account details to access the CID for updating- use the same domain account that you have set up in your Enterprise Console policies. When the install process has finished, you should find the machine listed in the Unassigned folder in EC, and you can manage it in the same way as other workstations.

You should be able to script the install as well, if you have a way to remotely run scripts on the machines. The script details are on the Sophos website under 'Deploying Sophos Anti-Virus through Active Directory group policy' .

Hope this is helpful.

Posted
An alternative method is to use the standalone installer and expose your CID via a webserver. You could even put it on the internet and have computers that are offsite update from it if needed.
Posted

What OS on the PCs?

 

I have staff Laptops that are not on the Domain but connected to the network for Internet and I can manage them from Enterprise Manager

Posted

Win 2000 and XP. Thanks very much everyone, I just tried it and it worked. I didn't expect it to cos I tried the manual install before and it failed. Think I know why that happened now though and it's not related.

 

Thanks :D.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...