_Bat_ Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 Hi all, I don't know GPO's very well. But I have been asked to remove one that is annoying staff i.e. the lack of icons in the system tray on windows XP. It didn't affect windows 2K but we have had a series of XP computers in recently and I'm starting to get complaints. Firstly people can't adjust the volume for their speakers and more importantly, they cannot end the process for their USB sticks. At the moment I have told them to just reboot the computer and take it out before windows boots up again, but this is just a workaround which isn't convenient. Does anyone know how to remove this and if there was any good reason for it being set in the first place (I didn't set it up)? I don't really want to use trial and error to find out which setting it is with GPOs . Thanks
Geoff Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 We have this set for kids, but I'd never contemplate settng it for staff. The setting is in: User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar The exact entry is the "Hide the notification area" option.
Halfmad Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 I can't think of any real reason to have it especially with staff. However as it's XP there's no real need to end the process to eject usb sticks, at least I never have, pull them out and it should be fine. I think it handles the way it saves slightly differently to 2000.
_Bat_ Posted May 2, 2007 Author Posted May 2, 2007 I can't think of any real reason to have it especially with staff. However as it's XP there's no real need to end the process to eject usb sticks, at least I never have, pull them out and it should be fine. I think it handles the way it saves slightly differently to 2000. Seriously? I wasn't aware of that.
leon Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 It's to do with the policy you set for the USB device (click properties in the Safely Remove Hardware dialogue). In XP up you can optimise for quick removal or perfomance. This effects how Windows uses write caching to the disk. I don't know off hand if 2k supports quick removal...
DSapseid Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 I can't think of any real reason to have it especially with staff. However as it's XP there's no real need to end the process to eject usb sticks, at least I never have, pull them out and it should be fine. I think it handles the way it saves slightly differently to 2000. Seriously? I wasn't aware of that. I thought i read somewhere that this only applied if you used USB acceleration?? But if im wrong then i stand corrected.
Halfmad Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 Well I've never enabled any sort of usb acceleration but it's always worked for me since SP1 or SP2, can't remember which. On all XP computers I've used, at home or work. If you copy a file then immediately remove it you may have a problem but if you wait a few seconds and remove it, it's fine.
CHR1S Posted May 2, 2007 Posted May 2, 2007 The optimisation for quick removal is default on XP, not sure on 2000 tho.
_Bat_ Posted May 3, 2007 Author Posted May 3, 2007 Okay I'm back with editing GPOs again... I've been asked if teachers can add to their own favourites in Internet Explorer. Can I ask the same question as above, but in relation to this? Where is the correct GPO located and just as importantly, is there any reason for this not being allowed (currently the favourites is greyed out)? I have found options related to IE favourites under Internet Explorer maintenance, but nothing appears to be related to enabling the favourites. Thanks James
Geoff Posted May 3, 2007 Posted May 3, 2007 Favorites are stored on the local profile on the machine. If you want to redirect them to a network location you'll have to do some registry hacking. There's several threads on EduGeek about this. I suggest you use the forum search to find them.
mrforgetful Posted May 3, 2007 Posted May 3, 2007 I just tell people to make Farourites in their User Areas, saves a job.
_Bat_ Posted May 3, 2007 Author Posted May 3, 2007 I assumed the favourites got uploaded to the server when the user logged out, however this doesn't appear to be the case then. I will just tell them to create them in their user area. They don't need any more then that. Thanks!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now