Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

So, I'm presuming most of us here are in some way linked to the Education IT profession, and so we're all quite competent at computers. But what other talents do you have (both useful or not)?

 

Answers on a postcard...or in the forum - probably the latter is better.

Posted

Haha, you mean there is a world outside of computers?

 

I'm a little bit of a fitness fanatic actually if that counts. I'm addicted to exercise and due to taking swiming lessons for several years as a child, I'd say I'm a fairly talented swimmer. I just wish I'd never given lessons up. I also have a built in pool in my back garden so I keep up standards up :D.

 

Other then that, I'm pretty good at a number of things, such as photography, but fall short of saying that I have a talent in them. I'm just boring...

Posted
Other then that, I'm pretty good at a number of things, such as photography, but fall short of saying that I have a talent in them. I'm just boring...

 

I like photography too. I'm just stopping short of trying to sell them though. Still, feel free to look at them: http://www.paktocon.com (the domain name is an abridge version of my signature below).

 

My school hasn't quite found out that I am a grade 8 pianist as well, which is probably because I haven't told them. Considering they don't have a music teacher at the moment I spend my day feeling guilty.

 

With the piano also comes church organ playing - a privelage I abuse somewhat:

Posted
I play tenor horn in 2 brass bands and I'm a radio ham.

I'm not even sure if there is 1 brass band near me, let alone 2!

Posted

The inevitable wuestion about helping out the sixth form bands was asked when the music department discovered I could play guitar... I did manage to keep it quiet for 2 years and managed to get out of it ;)

 

I also like my photography and am quite a proficient beer drinker ;)

Posted
Stowmarket Concert Band apparently :)

 

You're spoilt for choice in this neck of the woods :)

 

A surprisingly good web-site for our region (we're a little backward around here...in the nicest possible way). Sadly, I have no skills in the brass department - I'll stick to the piano.

Posted
Ahh the piano, love the sound. :) Unfortunately I've never taken up playing it properly - one finger player I'm afraid, 'When the Saints' is just about all I can manage 8)
Posted
Music is unfortunately something I don't think I'll ever have a talent in. However, I do plan on learning to play the piano to some extent at some point in the near future. It'll take a very long time though.
Posted

Amateur radio is where you can use radio equipment to communicate with other hams using voice, data/images or morse; and from people just down the road to all over the world. People do it just for fun or for self-training in radio comms (electronics etc). More on El Wiki :)

 

An interesting aspect at the moment is the linking of radios to the internet (a sort of radio VoIP) - by using the wonders of DTMF you can be using a handheld radio (and providing you're in range) connect to another gateway in another country. :)

 

The licensing part is maintained by people reporting non-licenced usage when heard, and interference if it occurs. There are people all over the country who listen and report back. It's a complex thing, but for the most part, it works :)

Posted
Amateur radio is where you can use radio equipment to communicate with other hams using voice, data/images or morse; and from people just down the road to all over the world. People do it just for fun or for self-training in radio comms (electronics etc). More on El Wiki :)

 

Yeah, I already read that, which is what made me curious, haha. It looks interesting. However, I'm confused about the licensing part. How do they even moderate that?

Posted
Ahh the piano, love the sound. :) Unfortunately I've never taken up playing it properly - one finger player I'm afraid, 'When the Saints' is just about all I can manage 8)

 

I pride myself on the fact that I've been playing since I was 5 - yet I still can't play "Chopsticks"!

 

I think that whether you can play or not, everyone should have a piano in their house. Alternatively, why not give the money you could have spent on a piano to someone who wants to buy a piano but can't afford it...like...err...me.

Posted

Erm ... I have no life anymore since I was collared into the world of computers.

 

Previously I was an exercise freak ... lots of martial arts, instructor in a few things and competing at an interesting level.

 

Time spent in the forces left me with some interesting skills that I enjoy explaining to a few students ... especially things like principles of markmanship (No, no, no ... you need to breath *out* before you pull the trigger with most rifles to ensure there are no shakes ... it makes it more likely that you get a head shot rathern than just aiming and wounding!) Tends to leave them a little worried!!!

 

Musically I was a flautist

 

I hate gardenning

Posted
Time spent in the forces left me with some interesting skills that I enjoy explaining to a few students ... especially things like principles of markmanship (No, no, no ... you need to breath *out* before you pull the trigger with most rifles to ensure there are no shakes ... it makes it more likely that you get a head shot rathern than just aiming and wounding!) Tends to leave them a little worried!!!

 

Musically I was a flautist

 

I hate gardenning

 

I'd like to think that the three things are somehow related. How? I'm not sure. Some deep psychological issue maybe.

Posted

Used to be a CS fanatic me :D

Now my life is about to be taken over with nappies and crying weans --- and im looking forward to (some) of it :?

Posted
Now my life is about to be taken over with nappies and crying weans --- and im looking forward to (some) of it :?

 

I assume you (or your partner) is having a baby - and not that you have some weird hobbies.

Posted
I climb, shoot and make bonsai trees - but wouldn't say i'm particularily good at any of them!

 

:(

 

I would have thought climbing and shooting bonsai trees was not very satisfying - they don't move much, and they're not very tall.

  • Thanks 3
Posted
I have a PhD in sticking polymers (plastics) to surfaces (silicon, gold) in very high densities. Not particularly useful in my current line of work. I'm also reasonably competent at rebuilding motorcycles.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...