Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anybody got any good ideas for what to do with about 25 Ethernet PCI cards?

 

They pre-date my existence at the school (all of 6 months) and apparently ended up at our school after one of our contractors decided to estimate the number of PCs at our school instead of counting (or just asking someone).

 

Is there much of a market for them on eBay?

Posted
damn it. if you were closer i'd have come and nabbed them off you. I need a couple for some older machines that were provided (for some inexplicable reason) without NICs
Posted
Things in bulk always go well on ebay - shops snap em up and use them in PC repairs etc... (or geeks who randomly think that owning dozens of something is a good idea - like my buying 15 laptop TFT screens once).
Posted
What model are they? Do they have boot roms?

 

I don't know much about them. I know they were used in the PCs when we were on a thin-client system and that I didn't know them not to work (I've known the school longer than I've worked there). Oh, and they're made by 3Com.

 

I also have hundreds of little "Wake on LAN" cables that appear to be linked to the cards. They've currently been filed away in my box called "Random Gubbins" along with all the cables that don't appear to have any purpose.

 

Seriously, if you need a couple I could probably post them to you. Do you want to swap it for a VGA cable?

Posted

They're probably 3C905s then and if they have WOL cables they almost certainly have boot ROMs.

 

I say keep them. Those are excellent network cards and are probably a damn site better than the usual rubbish you get on motherboards these days. They're supported by virtually every OS under the sun too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...