mole Posted July 7, 2011 Posted July 7, 2011 hi we run some standalone xp prof pc's. On one of them it allows you to login fine (keyboard-all keys work) but after that the keyboard fails to work and pc just makes a quiet errrrrrr sound when you press a key. Tried ps2 & usb keyboard but still exists. Any know of any control panel thing that could have been changed? thanks
rad Posted July 7, 2011 Posted July 7, 2011 tried swapping the keyboard over once booted? What about keeping both ps2 and usb kepboards in while booting?
MaceZ4 Posted July 7, 2011 Posted July 7, 2011 Sounds to me like a key could be stuck so it thinks it's being pressed still?
its_sam Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 I have a similar problem with one PC not allowing me to type anything other than □ , only I cannot even log in before this starts. In fact, I cannot even access the BIOS! This very PC was working fine yesterday but I fear that a student has tampered with settings (possibly language or keyboard) and now I am stuck with an unusable computer. I have tried different keyboards, different USB ports and removing the CMOS battery and rebooted a number of times. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
LosOjos Posted July 8, 2011 Posted July 8, 2011 I have a similar problem with one PC not allowing me to type anything other than □ , only I cannot even log in before this starts. In fact, I cannot even access the BIOS! This very PC was working fine yesterday but I fear that a student has tampered with settings (possibly language or keyboard) and now I am stuck with an unusable computer. I have tried different keyboards, different USB ports and removing the CMOS battery and rebooted a number of times. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Windows' language settings won't affect the BIOS - sounds like a broken PS/2 port to me, but then that shouldn't affect USB...
mole Posted September 1, 2011 Author Posted September 1, 2011 Update - Found out that sticky keys had been enabled with all the tick boxes checked, unchecked all these and disabled sticky keys - now working.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now