bandgeekmafia78 Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Hi. I'm in the process of developing my own website for a forum-based music exchange (which will be completely free btw). However, I'm struggling with the back-end. I would like a forum that works in a similar way to EduGeek, with users able to give rep power, get PM's, etc. etc. Can anyone suggest? Thanks. Alan.
glennda Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 are you looking for free software or paid for? Edugeek runs on vbulletin but there are other free ones out there 1
localzuk Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 phpBB can do what you want - so long as you add mods. vBulletin can also do that, and is what edugeek runs on. However, you have to pay for it. 1
bandgeekmafia78 Posted March 15, 2011 Author Posted March 15, 2011 I was just looking at VBulletin - probably not a good idea for me to fork out £123 for a website that will probably fail! Having a look at phpBB at the moment. Looks a bit tricky to set up though. Thanks.
glennda Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 There is also vanilla which is ok - i installed it but only to play with Vanilla - Free, Open-Source Forum Software 1
somabc Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 (edited) Have you considered http://code.reddit.com/ you can either run the code on your own server or just create a hosted subreddit with yourself as Mod. You can add a CNAME record aliasing your domain to rhs.reddit.com. You will be able to access your reddit through your domain. Edited March 15, 2011 by somabc 1
Edu-IT Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I'd say PHPBB3 to start out then if it works well you can very easily move everything over to vBulletin, they have tools for that.
SneakyBeaky Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 I use Simple Machines Forum on two of my websites. Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software Mods available.
LosOjos Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 What, you mean you're not going to painstakingly build one from scratch? pffft (BTW - I don't recommend it! Not for a live website anyway, great learning curve though...) +1 for phpBB for it's customisability And don't forget to share the link when it's up and running
SneakyBeaky Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Lots to compare here: ForumMatrix - Compare Them All Tick the ones you want to compare: 1
Cache Posted March 15, 2011 Posted March 15, 2011 Take a look at MyBB - free and has a vBulletin-ish look to it. I've recently setup phpBB and wish I'd used MyBB instead now. Other alternative is the recently launched XenForo. 1
bandgeekmafia78 Posted March 16, 2011 Author Posted March 16, 2011 Thanks for your suggestions - gone with phpbb in the end. I'll post the URL once its up and running!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now