Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Done this loads of times with laptops and computers, but today with our new server (not set by me) but standard issue server 2003, I had to use the doamin name 'schoolname.school' to get the laptops to join. I've only ever had to type in the first part of the domain name not the bit after the dot. Not a problem but really bugging me why it didn't work this time.
Posted
I've noticed that you sometimes have to do this but it may be symptomatic of a deeper DNS problem. If you run dcdiag on the DCs and netdiag on the client it may gleen some pearls of wisdom.
Posted
On the server?

 

Yes, take note of what Ric_ has said as that is the cause of action I would follow. Did you image these laptops or were they already done for you ?

Posted
They're laptops for teachers scheme, partly setup by lea I put our software on. I'm wondering if there is a dns problem because I can't get our w98 computers to join the domain either, they pick up the ip address from the range and I can ping the server and get to access the server through network neighbourhood.
Posted
If you havent got any win 98 machines on the domain already then.... You may have to go through steps such as disabling SMB signing in group policy and you may need another bit of software ont hem as well which name escapes me.
Posted
They're laptops for teachers scheme, partly setup by lea I put our software on. I'm wondering if there is a dns problem because I can't get our w98 computers to join the domain either, they pick up the ip address from the range and I can ping the server and get to access the server through network neighbourhood.

 

Windows 9x computers cannot 'join' a domain. They can use a domain for user authentication that's all.

Posted
Yes, but they should be able to logon to a domain and access drives etc. they were working Ok til we had a new server, never had a problem before with W98s on server 2003 domains.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...