Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Here is my problem.

 

The hard disc on my laptop has given up the ghost. :Cry: I was using outlook 2003 for my email. :oops: I had several different email accounts setup within outlook. :?

 

Before the HD gave up completely I managed to get a backup of the entire documents and settings folder. :)

 

I have succesfully restored my outlook .pst file but, and here is the problem, I cannot find where the settings are for all my email accounts. :oops:

 

Does anybody know if it is possible for me to extract this info somehow from the backup of the docs and settings folder I have.

 

Thanks in advance...

Posted

How did you backup the D&S folder? If everything is backed up then one of the files will be ntuser.dat - this is the HKEY_CURRENT_USER of your registry and all your settings will be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

 

What you need to do is use regedit to load this hive (easy to load it under HKLM; call it oldsettings) You can then find all your details at HKLM\oldsettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

 

Export that to a text file; close the hive. Edit the text file and replace the "HKLM\oldsettings\" bit with HKCU\ then save it and import it into your current registry.

Posted
Export that to a text file; close the hive. Edit the text file and replace the "HKLM\oldsettings\" bit with HKCU\ then save it and import it into your current registry.

 

Thanks srochford,

 

This has worked.. :D

 

Regards,

Jon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...