Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Morning Support,

 

I have a rather old serial ActivBoard in a department that insists on falling asleep when not being used. It then looses it's connection and the ActivManager software has to be used again to connect.

 

The board is connected to the machine via a Belkin USB>Serial connector. We have other boards in school using the same connector with no issues.

 

The board information is as follows:

 

BoardFirmware: V2.34 Build 0

Serial Number: 25U2165027

Driver Number: 5.1.2.7

Software: ActivInspire V1.4

 

If you could offer any advice then it would be appreciated. I don't want to purchase a new board and I've checked the connections behind the board.

 

Many thanks

 

Gareth Edmondson

Posted

I have a load of these old serial boards with lots of different problems - I contacted the support and got a firmware upgrade CD (apparently it has to be on CD for the old serial boards).

The problems I had have gone - I didn't have your issue, but worth a go?

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I have a load of these old serial boards with lots of different problems - I contacted the support and got a firmware upgrade CD (apparently it has to be on CD for the old serial boards).

The problems I had have gone - I didn't have your issue, but worth a go?

 

Thanks witch,

 

I was always told by Promethean that we should never upgrade the firmware. Still it will be interesting to see what they say. I have a similar board in my room but the firmware is a bit newer - 'V2.65 Build 0'.

 

Thanks again for your time,

 

Gareth

Posted

First thing I would do is compare the version numbers with an ActivBoard that is not exhibiting this issue - I would also compare the belkin driver version.

 

Upgrading the firmware of the ActivBoard would be the last thing to do as your ActivBoard is probably out of warranty so if you were to do this it would be at your own risk.

 

So first up compare the ActivDriver version and upgrade if necessary, next compare the belkin driver version and again upgrade if necessary - ensure that in the ActivMangager > Control Panel on the Connections tab that the serial connection is set to automatic and it may also be worth taking a Belkin adapter from a system that is working just to ensure that isn't causing the issue before finally plumping for the ActivBoard firmware upgrade via the CD.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
First thing I would do is compare the version numbers with an ActivBoard that is not exhibiting this issue - I would also compare the belkin driver version.

 

Upgrading the firmware of the ActivBoard would be the last thing to do as your ActivBoard is probably out of warranty so if you were to do this it would be at your own risk.

 

So first up compare the ActivDriver version and upgrade if necessary, next compare the belkin driver version and again upgrade if necessary - ensure that in the ActivMangager > Control Panel on the Connections tab that the serial connection is set to automatic and it may also be worth taking a Belkin adapter from a system that is working just to ensure that isn't causing the issue before finally plumping for the ActivBoard firmware upgrade via the CD.

 

Morning Sir,

 

Right - have compared the boards with different version numbers (as in the above post to witch). My board works fine.

 

Belkin > I have a new one here. I'll install that to see what happens.

 

Drivers > I'll also upgrade them. My room also has newer drivers for a serial board with USB connector.

 

The ActivManager software is set to Automatic.

 

Back in a bit.

 

Gareth

Posted

Right here we go:

 

USB > Serial cable - new one fitted. Drivers uninstalled and re-installed.

 

Driver: Now on 5.5.37.1

 

Com Ports Checked and set to Automatic Connection.

 

She will report back to me.

 

Gareth

Posted

Morning - The work seems to have cured the issue. I naturally assumed the school technician had gone through this troubleshooting as he had told me we needed to purchase a new board :-(

 

If you want something doing....

 

Thanks everyone,

 

Gareth

Posted

Okay - so it hasn't solved itself.

 

Last night, the machine turned itself off (as per our energy saving policy). Our teacher turned the machine on this morning and went to use the board during Lesson 4. The board was not interactive even though we had set the connection to 'Automatic'.

 

Interestingly enough ActivManager said the board was connected and it even showed up in the software. Teacher had to disconnect and connect again for it to work. Once this is done it stays connected for the rest of the day without issue.

 

But why would a board do this in the first place? What could be faulty.

 

Gareth

Posted
Can use a USB cable on this board instead of serial? On some i think you can. If you borrowing a cable from another board.

 

It's one of the oldest boards in the school - will the cable transfer this easily? I've just had a phone call telling me it's disconnected again.

 

Sigh - maybe it is time for a new board.

 

GJE

Posted
It's one of the oldest boards in the school - will the cable transfer this easily?

 

Some you can i dont know about yours. You could try i suppose.

 

With the USB system you will need a different cable going from the powersupply to the board.




×
×
  • Create New...