dsquared2 Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 A local school has just started putting at the end of there emails 'It is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses'. If you receive a email, legally who is liable for the virus? The sender for sending the virus or the receiver for not scanning it? Is this something my schools should look into doing? Cheers Dsquared2
Edu-IT Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 To be honest regardless of whether the sender virus scans the email you cannot guarantee that they will have detected anything so I always prefer to scan incoming email myself also.
penfold Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 Legally, unless a person has purposely installed a virus onto the network, I doubt anyone is liable. As Edu-IT has said above, any virus can be missed when scanned. I would just go down the route of educating people to check any emails before they open them.
ICT_GUY Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 I would have to say the person who creates the virus, or you could go after Microsoft for making their OS less than secure.
ZeroHour Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 If you distro a virus knowingly or not I think you would be liable tbh although unlikely anything would happen. Generally email disclaimers are worthless and absolve the organisation of nothing I believe.
elsiegee40 Posted September 9, 2010 Posted September 9, 2010 I think the disclaiimers probably are worthless in the eyes of the law, but I doubt they've actually been tersted in a court of law in this country. The disclaimer usually adds that the email is intended for a particular recipient and if it's been received in error who you should notify.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now