tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 Mrs. Tech_Guy has had enough of what used to be the spare bedroom now crammed from floor to ceiling with an assortment of IT equipment and I'm being relegated to fending for myself outside somewhere - probably in the back garden. I did look at having the garage converted into an office / day room but the £20k price tag put her off a bit! I've decided I want one of these at half the price: 'Shed' Somehow I think I'm going to have to sing for my supper....
Dom_ Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 Use code TDX-GARD at checkout for 20% off the list price. 1
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 Use code TDX-GARD at checkout for 20% off the list price. Yeow, £2k saving! I'm a bit miffed you have to pay delivery though!
ted_baker Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 You could change your name to: Tech 'Large Shed' Guy in homage to Arthur Two Sheds Jackson. 1
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 If I had some land I'd stick something like this on it and I could live in it and become a real hippy geek.
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 The Tesco clubcard points alone converted to airmiles could get me to Dubai!
Andrew_C Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 It used to be the case that planning wasn't needed for sheds and similar construction if it was under 50m³. unfortunately, this rather desirable shed is over 100m³ 1
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 Lol, the floorspace of this shed is more than my house!
sted Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 looks more like affordable hosuing than a shed to me lol
laserblazer Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 My son in law got one for his office. It was a pig to assemble and cold and damp in winter, steaming in the summer. Have you got a loft you could convert?
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 My son in law got one for his office. It was a pig to assemble and cold and damp in winter, steaming in the summer. Have you got a loft you could convert? We've looked at that in the past but due to the way the roof is constructed (the type of trusses used) we would have to have the roof completely rebuilt in order to convert in into a room - way too expensive!
dhicks Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 I've decided I want one of these at half the price: You could build one yourself - as pointed out already, structures below a certain limit on height (including pitch of roof) / floorspace don't need planning permission, so come relativly cheaply. That "log cabin" doesn't look much beyond some strips of pine - rather little by way of insulation if you're going to be out there in the winter. I'd aim to build a wooden frame, then insulate it with straw bales and finish with plaster. -- David Hicks
tech_guy Posted June 29, 2010 Author Posted June 29, 2010 You could build one yourself - as pointed out already, structures below a certain limit on height (including pitch of roof) / floorspace don't need planning permission, so come relativly cheaply. That "log cabin" doesn't look much beyond some strips of pine - rather little by way of insulation if you're going to be out there in the winter. I'd aim to build a wooden frame, then insulate it with straw bales and finish with plaster. -- David Hicks Lol, do I look like Tommy Walsh? I'm pants at DIY - nails bend and that's before I've hit them with a hammer....
sidewinder Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 Have a clear out! Decluttering makes you feel good. Then you wouldnt need a shed either
featured_spectre Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 I have just asked my stepdad to buy it and I pay him back, he has agreed. Looks like I shall be getting one! lol
srochford Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 I think the big problem for you with that shed is the line "This requires an adult to sign upon delivery" :-)
Guest theeldergeek Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 (edited) Mrs. Tech_Guy has had enough of what used to be the spare bedroom now crammed from floor to ceiling with an assortment of IT equipment and I'm being relegated to fending for myself outside somewhere - probably in the back garden. What about something like this? YouTube - Woman Living In A 84 sq foot Home ?? I actually have a large summerhouse in my garden which has a division in it to effectively make 2 rooms. I used to use it as a home office/workshop. I've put a second 'skin' inside the bit I use as a computer 'room' to insulate it, have heating and lighting and a telephone as well as wired network. I now use it as my 'retreat' rather than an office, and go in there for gaming and general internet/email stuff when I don't want to be hunched over my laptop on the sofa indoors. The summerhouse cost me circa £3000 at the time, but I did have to pay extra to have it wired out by a Part P spark which was a bit "stand and deliver" but a legal requirement. Edited June 29, 2010 by theeldergeek
featured_spectre Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 I intend on getting mine fully insulated and wired up, and having a heating system in there, so I can stay in there until stupid o'clock gaming without hassle
ICT_GUY Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 Heating system? Get a small wood burning pot stove.
Guest theeldergeek Posted June 29, 2010 Posted June 29, 2010 I intend on getting mine fully insulated and wired up, and having a heating system in there, so I can stay in there until stupid o'clock gaming without hassle I've fallen asleep in mine before now.... wifey has come out at 4am and asked what time I was coming to bed!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now