Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

* Windows XP/Server 2003 Vanilla Network *

 

Some of the current IT courses require students to use "Search" programs.

 

I was just wondering what everyone else is using?

 

I'm not a real fan of Windows Search. We locked down Active Directory searches to display 0 results but it still seems easy to play with with.

 

I've tried out some free open source programs but they seem to allow access (browse/open program access) to the C Drive.

 

Any help is greatly appreciated! :-)

Posted

Search programs, whats wrong with the built in Windows Find. I agree that the Windows Desktop Search app that got pushed via Windows Update was a nasty heavy beast but the standard Windows one does alright.

 

What are they searching for exactly, files, documents... here they just get to use built in windows search (we're on Windows 7 now but was the same on XP) as it is what will be on all most of the machines they use (home, next school, probably work etc.)

Posted

They are searching for basic documents and a program located on a shared drive, which they need to make a shortcut too.

 

I have just manged to find a registry tweak (liutilities.com) hiding "For People" and "On the Internet" which I will probably convert to an ADM template, but I also need to hide the "Find Printers" option as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...