Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

It seems obvious to me. If you buy a PC and don't accept the Windows EULA I don't see what choice the OEM has in the matter.

 

I'm slightly puzzled by the fact that the OEM (in this case Dell) refunded the cost of the OS. I would of thought that would of been Microsoft? But I guess Dell just bill Microsoft after the fact?

Posted

Er, why didn't he just ask Dell to provide the laptop with Freedos disks instead of windows? You just have to phone up and ask (well, and talk to a call centre drone with a clue - which you can obtain by asking $technical_question).

 

I spy a media whore.

Posted

Freelance programmer Dave Mitchell

 

Working freelance, he _is_ a business customer. Admittedly a small business, but Dell do allow it. Whether he has sufficient clue to click "small business" is another question. Maybe he thought publicity was more important.

 

I'm not having a go at Linux or Linux users, (use it, like it and am one myself) and I certainly think there should be more OS choices. I just think the guy comes across as a prat.

Posted

Since he still has the media and license sticker and hasn't technically been re-imbursed for the software (he received a 'goodwill payment'), if he decides that the EULA isn't all that bad and he will accept it, can he then use Windows XP Home on this machine in the future?

 

Sounds like a good way to get another £50 off a DELL to me. ;)

Posted
Er, why didn't he just ask Dell to provide the laptop with Freedos disks instead of windows? You just have to phone up and ask (well, and talk to a call centre drone with a clue - which you can obtain by asking $technical_question).

 

I spy a media whore.

 

Indeed, especially in light of this quote:

"I've cost Dell £50, not Microsoft, which is a slightly annoying," said Mr Mitchell. He encouraged other people to try to get a refund and wondered if Dell's policy on which operating systems it offered on laptops would change if enough people tried."

 

I'm sorry but anyone who courts publicity if there is another way to solve their problem probably has "Black and Decker" branded somewhere about their body, if you see what I mean.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...