tosca925 Posted November 1, 2006 Posted November 1, 2006 Are you going to let IE7 deploy through WSUS, i have kept an eye on a few posts about IE7. I presume Microsoft's Patch Tuesday this month will include IE7. I am not sure what to do? Are you going to let WSUS deploy it, if so how do we get the adm templates for it? Recommendations/thoughts?
john Posted November 1, 2006 Posted November 1, 2006 I am letting her go via it, it will be fine no doubt. For the new GPs just put it manually on your machine or the DC and it will update as needed and give you the 40 new options for IE7. Thats all I did, updated to IE7 on the DC and opened GPMC on it and set the policy and away it went happy as larry.
Gatt Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 I'm not so keen to let IE7 go through at the moment - there seems to be an issue with embedded QuickTime content at the moment..
john Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 Seems ok to me, is it a site you could point out incase its something else thats iffy with your setup?
NetworkGeezer Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 Is it reversable (i.e. downgrade back to 6) via add/remove programs or would it require a system restore instead?
tosca925 Posted November 2, 2006 Author Posted November 2, 2006 So whats the best way to stop this deploying via WSUS. I think it may be good to stop it for a while and assess later.
CyberNerd Posted November 2, 2006 Posted November 2, 2006 you don't have much time, its already out according to this: http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/11/02/1424203.shtml
MkII Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 theres a page on it here tosca: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/10/20/prevent-block-and-disable-automatic-updates-install-of-internet-explorer-7-ie7-for-controlled-upgrade/ I have updates declined for the moment
Teth Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 I deployed it to 2 out of 5 rooms I have on wsus today. It went fine and the templates are setting everything sorrectly now. (getting the default page to not be the MS intro to IE7 took a bit to update). Everything seems to be running smoothly now
mullet_man Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 @tosca925 You can get updated ADM from the INF folder in Windows from a machine updated to IE7. Just update the server copy and it keeps any gp's you have intact. You will want to make sure you disable the Welcome Screen that greets new users and disable Phishing. I have the adm in place and have let WSUS deploy to pupil machines. Today will see if we have any problems, can't think there will be any I hope.
sidewinder Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 I would deploy it but we have a problem where whatever homepage is set, it defaults to the LEA WebSense 'Blocked' page, which would no doubt cause uproar because the beloved school website wouldnt be displayed Has anyone else encountered a home page problem? I assume its something with the LEA's proxy server/filtering software they will need to sort out
Ric_ Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 I'm testing the installation by WSUS now onto my machine and a teacher laptop (that teacher might get a shock!) I thought I would see what happens and play with the ADM a little... in the meantime IE7 will remain unauthorised in WSUS for the other machines... got to love machine groups
MkII Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 from Mark Minasis' forums: Once you install IE7 on a machine, the install process will update inetres.adm on that machine. If from that machine, you then use GPMC to check out a policy on one of your domain controllers, the new version will propogate up to the domain level and then back down to all of your other machines. Besides the addition of some new policies to control new features such as anti-phishing and tabbed browsing, some existing stuff has been moved from internet explorer maintenance to Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Internet Explorer, such as setting a predefined home page. There isn't any documentation, that I've found, detailing all of the changes. Currently you just have to poke about.
john Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 So because I used GPMC on my workstation to force IE7 to open my homepage instead of the welcome to IE7 stuff, it should have updated my DCs .ADM files automatically, if it has thats ace!
MkII Posted November 3, 2006 Posted November 3, 2006 Seemed to work on any GPO I touched - the date of the inetres.adm checked out to be the newer version. The property pages and proxy settings were hidden as before, with just the bugging for phishing filter settings etc to check off.
tosca925 Posted November 4, 2006 Author Posted November 4, 2006 So your telling me WSUS has already pulled it down? I looked on ours yesterday and could not find it, I better check again.
john Posted November 4, 2006 Posted November 4, 2006 its been sneekey, i looked today, its down for Detect Only, and you change it to Install (if you want it that is). I suspect the Detect Only will change to Install on the patch tuesday, also you have a EULA to agree and accept before you can change its status. Its 2 lots in WSUS, IE7 for XP SP2 and IE7 for Server 2003.
alonebfg Posted November 4, 2006 Posted November 4, 2006 bugger i have noticed the ie has been put on as a high pro update and it looks like it has started deploying.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now