3s-gtech Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 Could any advertisers come up with a quote for a server to host 4 x virtual machines on VMWare ESX 4.0. We're looking at all brands, 12GB+ of RAM or so, doesn't need huge storage space but the capability to expand via SAS drive would be good. Needs RAID 5. The virtual machines will be a print server, a Windows based web-server (quite an I/O intensive app), a small database server, and a backup domain controller (total storage used by all these servers atm is only 20GB or so, but some breathing room would be good). Any decent deals going?
Haptic Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 (edited) Could any advertisers come up with a quote for a server to host 4 x virtual machines on VMWare ESX 4.0. We're looking at all brands, 12GB+ of RAM or so, doesn't need huge storage space but the capability to expand via SAS drive would be good. Needs RAID 5. The virtual machines will be a print server, a Windows based web-server (quite an I/O intensive app), a small database server, and a backup domain controller (total storage used by all these servers atm is only 20GB or so, but some breathing room would be good). Any decent deals going? how do you feel about Dell and HP fella as we can secure some great pricing on both ? Edited January 8, 2010 by Haptic
3s-gtech Posted January 8, 2010 Author Posted January 8, 2010 Have both Dell and HP have, both have been excellent so happy to see what you can do. I didn't give a budget - it's tight, perhaps £2000? I know it's very limiting, as I say we don't need mega storage or performance, just something expandable and fairly modern!
Haptic Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 Have both Dell and HP have, both have been excellent so happy to see what you can do. I didn't give a budget - it's tight, perhaps £2000? I know it's very limiting, as I say we don't need mega storage or performance, just something expandable and fairly modern! i have just the thing in mind bud pm me your details over if you would be so kind,
john Posted January 8, 2010 Posted January 8, 2010 Could any advertisers come up with a quote for a server to host 4 x virtual machines on VMWare ESX 4.0. We're looking at all brands, 12GB+ of RAM or so, doesn't need huge storage space but the capability to expand via SAS drive would be good. Needs RAID 5. The virtual machines will be a print server, a Windows based web-server (quite an I/O intensive app), a small database server, and a backup domain controller (total storage used by all these servers atm is only 20GB or so, but some breathing room would be good). Any decent deals going? Worth contacting The Cutter Project - linescanner (Andy Trevor) is the man on here, they are specialists in Green Computing which is all integrated with Virtualisation, Thin Clients etc They supply Sun kit which I know is good stuff, just waiting for financial approval then I can start thinking harder as i know what cash I actually have rather than my imaginary pots! Sun also every so often do a thing called Match Grant (search edugeek for it and you will find posts about it) and that is basically buy one get one free on a simple level (there are Terms and Conditions with that though and some paperwork)
Guest salan Posted January 11, 2010 Posted January 11, 2010 We have a similar setup by the sound of things. We used Virtue Technologies. Got a very competitive quote and the work was done quickly and well Welcome to Virtue Technologies
3s-gtech Posted January 11, 2010 Author Posted January 11, 2010 Thanks for the replies. I'm happy to set the server up myself, setting up the RAID, installing ESXi, then popping the virtual machines onto it, so not sure a tailored solution would give me the best value. Would be interesting to see what base hardware that sort of budget would get me, or even to see what I can build from parts.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now