ChrisH Posted October 6, 2006 Posted October 6, 2006 The SP1 and R2 update to the highly recommended Mastering Server 2003 by Mark Minasi is listed as being available at the end of the month. It a 744 page book so there should be plenty of material to get your teeth into. For those of you who havent read one of his books its time you did. His writing style is very relaxed and easy to follow. It's almost like having a conversation with someone
contink Posted October 6, 2006 Posted October 6, 2006 It's almost like having a conversation with someone Heh.. yeah someone you wish you could download their brain a la Matrix style! Thanks for the heads up Chris... time to pre-order.
projector1 Posted October 20, 2006 Posted October 20, 2006 For those of you who havent read one of his books its time you did. His writing style is very relaxed and easy to follow. It's almost like having a conversation with someone well said at least i do not have to have a IT dictionary next to me when i read a minasi book. He is also so witty as well!
ChrisH Posted October 20, 2006 Author Posted October 20, 2006 For those of you who havent read one of his books its time you did. His writing style is very relaxed and easy to follow. It's almost like having a conversation with someone well said at least i do not have to have a IT dictionary next to me when i read a minasi book. He is also so witty as well! Yes he is would love to see one of his live seminars at least once.
ChrisH Posted October 27, 2006 Author Posted October 27, 2006 The book is now showing as in stock at Amazon. Buy it through http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Amazilla and put a bit of money back into edugeek
john Posted October 28, 2006 Posted October 28, 2006 Rete, im off to order it, shame its not an ebook though, the original is in ebook format for me, but hey ho, time to clear some more room on the bookshelf....
Guest Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 Mark Minasi is a gold mine waiting to be picked. For little nuggets. Or great big barrels of gold. You get the idea. lol.
ChrisH Posted October 29, 2006 Author Posted October 29, 2006 Rete, im off to order it, shame its not an ebook though, the original is in ebook format for me, but hey ho, time to clear some more room on the bookshelf.... I remember him saying somewhere about the fact everyone got hold of his book as a pdf without paying so wouldnt be releasing ti like that again I think.
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 yeah ... he used to give out the books on CD as a PDF and the plug-in for acrobat was nobbled and people managed to get protection free copies. I know it is not his doing but the protection system used is Windows only based ... so for a Mac User to by his book and want to have the eBook available it was a waste of money. I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy.
john Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy. Well they do have a point, you cannot manage an entire windows system off a Mac running MacOS can you? As for it not being on PDF, it will be rete, just need to make some room on the bookshelf, and its a pain when working on various sites, having a laptop with a range of ebooks on it made it a lot easier than carrying a box of books with me, as despite being a good admin I cannot remember every single little thing in my head so the books are useful to have.
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy. Well they do have a point, you cannot manage an entire windows system off a Mac running MacOS can you? Been doing it quite happily since 1999. Just because the machine I use on a day to day basis is a Mac it doesn't mean that it is the only machine I use ... and previously I had to stick the eBook plug-in on one of the servers so that I could access it (it was my own book since work didn't pay for it and I left it at home to use on my home systems whilst learning about NT/2000/xp/2003/etc). Now, there is nothing I cannot do. I honestly cannot see the point in ever going back ... but it frustrates me that people think that to be an admin of a particular system you have to have that system as your bread and butter machine ... what about people running Novell or Unix? As for it not being on PDF, it will be rete, just need to make some room on the bookshelf, and its a pain when working on various sites, having a laptop with a range of ebooks on it made it a lot easier than carrying a box of books with me, as despite being a good admin I cannot remember every single little thing in my head so the books are useful to have. But I hate having to cart a book around when I can have a series of eBooks, or a CD case with the Minasi books in there (along with all the usual CDsDVDs) instead ... it is more efficient. I bought a subscription to O'Reilly's library to other year and found it to be a fantastic resource ... exactly what I needed ... but now I have moved onto the non-technical stuff I can't justify the money.
john Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 Ive never heard of O'Reilly's Library, is it a good resource then?
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 Just imagine every O'Reilly book ... in an online library ... that you can pick and choose from. It is called Safari and you can have a 14 day trial (you signe up for it ... give it payment details etc and then cancel if you don't want to continue). There are several subscription models ... pick one to suit you.
john Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 What a good idea, shame its so much $439+tax is a bit too much for me, I think its paper books for now....
russdev Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 To be honest I have resubscribed at higher level as reason i stopped was due to having to be at computer as couldnt copy and paste and only get 5 downloads a month). But at new level I can copy past my book (takes its time) and then carry it around with on my pda, on my computers or print it out. As for price at 24 quid a month suppose look at it like this thats price of a book so if buy more than one book a month its good value.. @tony bcs memebership has access to simlair service that has some management books on it.. Russ
john Posted October 29, 2006 Posted October 29, 2006 OOh do we have that as a benifit, I must admit I am forgetful of my benifits that I have with them
ChrisH Posted October 31, 2006 Author Posted October 31, 2006 Just got mine delivered from Amazon. Well worth the £18 for a 700 page book I would ahve happily paid 30.
john Posted October 31, 2006 Posted October 31, 2006 Mine should arrive by the end of the week, as I am a cheapskate I put it on super saver deliver, and as I had some amazon vouchers left from doing online surveys, it only cost me £7 Ace!
ChrisH Posted November 1, 2006 Author Posted November 1, 2006 Mine was on super saver as well and I ordered on Friday
john Posted November 1, 2006 Posted November 1, 2006 Mine was dispatched today, so that must be the weekends reading sorted them
kingswood Posted December 20, 2006 Posted December 20, 2006 Minasi's update is (as always) superb. Well worth the cost.
mac_shinobi Posted December 20, 2006 Posted December 20, 2006 any chance someone can post a url to his new release book so I can get it soon or at least the info ie isbn and title etc P.S Have a safe journey and welcome you know who to England Paul
ChrisH Posted December 20, 2006 Author Posted December 20, 2006 Go into the amazilla in the left menu and type in mark minasi and you will see which one it is by the release date.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now