park_bench Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Hello All, I want a really simple system whereby Heads of Faculty respond to two questions for each Yr Group: ........Data Verified......Data Validated Y07........Y/N.......................Y/N Y08........Y/N.......................Y/N Y09........Y/N.......................Y/N Y10........Y/N.......................Y/N Y11........Y/N.......................Y/N I want to see a summary of this aggregated data across the facuilties so I can easily identify where the 'NOs' are. Some simple interface that all users can access at the same time is required. My question is, how would you achieve this? Thank you!
tmcd35 Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 It looks like a job for Excel, only you want everyone to be able to access it at once. I could knock something up in PHP/MySQL but that does seem a little overkill. Maybe a single PHP webpage using a text file to store the data? Maybe in CSV format so you can import it easily to Excel for analysis? 1
park_bench Posted December 1, 2009 Author Posted December 1, 2009 It looks like a job for Excel, only you want everyone to be able to access it at once. I could knock something up in PHP/MySQL but that does seem a little overkill. Maybe a single PHP webpage using a text file to store the data? Maybe in CSV format so you can import it easily to Excel for analysis? This was my initial thought too, particularly because I am comfortable using Excel - but I would have to produce a seperate sheet for each Faculty, and aggregate the data for admin use on another sheet. I wondered about more elegant solutions. I'm not a programmer but can usually teach myself quite quickly. What do I need (software-wise) to put a single PHP webpage together? Cheers
tmcd35 Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 I'm not a programmer but can usually teach myself quite quickly. What do I need (software-wise) to put a single PHP webpage together? Like I say, I think it's a bit overkill for the problem at hand. I'd use Excel and make the teachers aware that it may be read only if someone else is accessing it. For PHP. You'll need a server running Linux with Apache and PHP or Windows and XAMPP or WAMP (you can also install PHP onto IIS - messy). Then head over to google and find a decent online 'how to code PHP' guide.
webman Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Use Google Docs to set up a form, should do what you need. Like this. 1
powdarrmonkey Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 This is crying out for an Access database.
apeo Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Vote for Access, easy to implement and does what you want.
park_bench Posted December 1, 2009 Author Posted December 1, 2009 Use Google Docs to set up a form, should do what you need. Like this. This takes the hassle out of creating many exclusive Excel spreadsheets! Thanks. Access DB has the majority of votes so far - presumably the benefit is I can easily add tables and forms in the future and it stays 'in-house'?
localzuk Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 You could use the 'Shared' feature of Excel... How to share an Excel spreadsheet between multiple users - Windows Software 2
tmcd35 Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 You could use the 'Shared' feature of Excel... How to share an Excel spreadsheet between multiple users - Windows Software Nice one! Learn something new every day - although I think the Googleapps idea is gold
park_bench Posted December 1, 2009 Author Posted December 1, 2009 Use Google Docs to set up a form, should do what you need. Like this. Just a note about this solution... As far as I can see, unless you use Google Apps (the subscription service) you only get an anonymous timestamp on the responses so you cannot distinguish who has responded explicitly. Is this your understanding Webman?
webman Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 As far as I can see, unless you use Google Apps (the subscription service) you only get an anonymous timestamp on the responses so you cannot distinguish who has responded explicitly. Is this your understanding Webman? Yes that's right, unless you add a field asking for their name (or other identifier). But without some scripting magic, I don't think you get that by default in Access/Excel either.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now