pete Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 We had a fair bit of fibre installed over the holidays - we've got 6 ready-to use fibre links once I get the hardware sorted. We also have 6 more cabinets that I plan to run fibre to when time and budgets allow. (shared conduit is evil for cat 5 or 6). I've been looking at something like this: http://www.netgear.co.uk/managed_layer2_switch_gsm7212.php, which has 12 GBIC slots. but filling those slots will get pricey. Does anyone have a switch that comes with fibre ports preinstalled? (and so costs less). We're a predominantly Netgear & Cisco* setup. The switch will handle all traffic coming into the server room (and probably servers as well), so needs to comfortably handle 300 computers & 10 servers at Gb speeds per port. I also need to find good Gb fibre converters for some of the existing switches - blackbox are pricey. Cost isn't so important as getting the right tool for the job with expandability for the future. Not sure about chassis switches. *post Lightning replacements
plexer Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I suppose you could get something like a HP 4104gl chassis that gives you four slots available and then install 2 x 6 port mini gbic modules. £650'ish for the 4104 chassis and then £500 each for the mini-gbic modules plus the gbic adapters. Thats going to be pricey. Ben
Ric_ Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 I think you will be hard pushed to find something cheaper than the 4104gl but as you can see it isn't cheap. The advantage is that it can grow with your needs slightly and you only need to add the GBICs as you need to. BTW, the min-GBICs are something like £180 a piece for SX connections. As for media converters, I have used Planet ones in the past (100Mb only) and they did the job at a reasonable price.
CyberNerd Posted September 8, 2006 Posted September 8, 2006 We have a 3com 4900sx as our backbone - 12port fibre with a 6 port gigabit copper module. IIRC it was about two and a half grand witht the copper.
sidewinder Posted September 9, 2006 Posted September 9, 2006 We have an Allied Teleysn 9816, 16 GBIC ports, about £2000 I think The GBIC modules are about £90 each Expensive initially but cheap to expand
john Posted September 9, 2006 Posted September 9, 2006 Allied Telisyn / Telisis (they keep changing there name according to where you see them) for the media converters, they are excellent, never miss a beat. You can get a Rack unit for them if you will have a lot at each end (each rack hold 12 if I am visualising my cabinet correctly). As for switches, Netgear used to make dedicated Fibre Switches, I have one its got 10 built in fibres, and 4 slots / RJ45 sockets so you can add 4 more fibre or something else that fits, I cannot see it in my netgear catalogue so it may be discontinued, but its an excellent product if you can find one somewhere, and it had a lifetime warranty on it which is even better.
MkII Posted September 9, 2006 Posted September 9, 2006 We have some HP Procurves 5650 and 2650 with fibre transceivers - the transcievers are expensive at around £250 each. Does anyone know if you can use other brand transcievers and save a bit of money - or is that a no no? [someone suggested it and i'd like to check]
john Posted September 9, 2006 Posted September 9, 2006 I think its a no-no, but I haven't tried as I only have Netgears that take any modules so I aint got anythign else kicking around to try
pete Posted September 11, 2006 Author Posted September 11, 2006 Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I'll have a root around and see what the best deal is atm, but it looks like "pricey" will be the default cost. @Mark It's _possible_ to do that but results may vary. I'd test it before you spend any cash.
bossman Posted September 11, 2006 Posted September 11, 2006 Cisco WS-C3550-12G would probably set you back 3-4k but then the gbics would only cost approx just over £100, this would be my way forward if i was you, you could then run the cisco assistant to cluster and manage all your cisco kit which from an admin point is less stress and lifetime guarantee to boot. I also have all my servers (eight at the moment) conected to a Cisco Catalyst 3550-12T which is then conected by fibre to the above excellent throughput no bottlenecks just a pure Gig backbone. This is just my thoughts on the matter and how i have my network setup.
CyberNerd Posted September 11, 2006 Posted September 11, 2006 We have some HP Procurves 5650 and 2650 with fibre transceivers - the transcievers are expensive at around £250 each. Does anyone know if you can use other brand transcievers and save a bit of money - or is that a no no? I'm using a 3com mini gbic module in a netgear but I had no luck using one in a procurve - it just didn't work, not sure why.
spc-rocket Posted September 11, 2006 Posted September 11, 2006 For mini GBICs have a look around at Hardware.com. Pretty good range of switches used and new ones and always handy for the gbics and last minute odd purchases. Ash.
pete Posted September 29, 2006 Author Posted September 29, 2006 Follow-up post.. Thanks for the help everyone. I talked it over with SMT and they have no plans to make major upgrades / add another computer room for the forseeable future. So I bought one of these (the 48 port version): http://www.netgear.co.uk/managed_layer2_switch_gsm7224.php to upgrade the backbone switch and then made up the difference with Allied Telesyn Gb fibre converters in a rack (thanks John) and dotted around the endpoints. very happy with my purchases so far (and I still have enough capacity to add 3-4 computer rooms just in case plans change ).
john Posted September 29, 2006 Posted September 29, 2006 Glad you purchases went well, your cabinet must look similar to mine, except I got L3 Netgears (about 4 of them now), and a large number of other netgear switches then AT media converters and racks (4 of them)
plexer Posted September 30, 2006 Posted September 30, 2006 @Mark: I have been told by my cabling/network contractor that you can use other name mini gbic's in a procurve switch as they are a standard but you'd probably find the hp switch would give you the information about what was installed. Ben
secman Posted October 12, 2006 Posted October 12, 2006 We have just purchased a Dell 6024F Gigabit Switch. It has 24 ports that take SFP Modules either fibre or copper plus 8 1Gb UTP ports. Very nice box for about £2900 including 12 SFP Adaptors (which are £120 each.)
sidewinder Posted October 13, 2006 Posted October 13, 2006 How did you manage to get it for that price with all the adapters? That sounds absolutly perfect for our requirements, plenty of expansion for fibre and some dedicated copper ports for the servers
secman Posted October 13, 2006 Posted October 13, 2006 It was part of a large order including 4 servers and some other switches via a supplier and not direct from Dell. I'm sure our supplier would be happy to speak to you if you are interested. We have decided to standardise on Dell switches. They do a reasonable range and seem to work very well. From basic 10/100 switches up to the full blown 6024F. We also use 5324s with Gb Fibre adaptors as distribution switches around the school. They are able to have multiple uplinks giving an agregate 2Gb if required. ) Hope this helps Alan
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now