Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Server 2003

Xp SP3 Clients.

 

One of my pc seems to shutdown and restart about 10 mins after a user logs on. I check the event viewer and the following keeps appearing

 

DHCP Event ID 1003

 

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 003005FD87C2. The following error occurred:

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

 

 

I have tired a few things.

Logged on to the client machine and went into the cmd and tried IPCONFIG /release then IPCONFIG /renew. Keeps picking up the same Ip address. Checked the DHCP on the server and that IP address is not set to expire until the 26/9/09.

 

I can see all the shared documents and can connect to the internet aswell as print. But after a few minutes the machine shuts down.

 

I see this is starting to appear on another machine now as well.

 

Any help would be great

Cheers

Posted
Is this problem happening on a wired or wireless connection? Have you tried stopping and starting DHCP Server? Have you checked how many free IPs you have remaining? I'd recommend you update network adapter drivers too. And reboot your switches/access points at the earliest opportunity.
Posted

its a wired connection. I deleted the ip address from the DHCP. Currently running a virus scan on the computer.

 

I restarted the server.

Posted
I'd recommend you update network adapter drivers too

 

Ditto.

 

tbh I doubt anything else external to the machine would be causing it to reboot. Its most likely drivers, spyware, or something physically wrong with the machine thats the cause.

 

Nath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...