garethEds Posted September 3, 2009 Posted September 3, 2009 Evening everyone, I've been trying to research the use of Windows 7 and Server 2003. Can it be done? Is there a set of .adm files for Server 2003 that I would be able to use to control Windows 7? Or does it have to go with Windows 2008 Server. Many thanks GJE
EduTech Posted September 3, 2009 Posted September 3, 2009 I am pretty sure that Windows 7 can only be properly managed by Server 2008 and above. unless someone else knows otherwise. James.
ZeroHour Posted September 3, 2009 Posted September 3, 2009 I was pretty sure that admx (aka vista/7 gp's) can be deployed by 2003 so you can edit/make the policies on a 7 machine and deploy them using a 2003 dc.
Theblacksheep Posted September 3, 2009 Posted September 3, 2009 Don't think you can join an NT4 domain. Think you only get full 7 features with 2008r2 server in the domain.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 4, 2009 Posted September 4, 2009 I have it running at work in a 2003 domain. All the old group policy functionality is fine, but you won't be able to use any of the new features or templates - only those that you normally apply to XP. It works fine though as a machine.
ZeroHour Posted September 4, 2009 Posted September 4, 2009 I have it running at work in a 2003 domain. All the old group policy functionality is fine, but you won't be able to use any of the new features or templates - only those that you normally apply to XP. It works fine though as a machine. Not according to what they imply here: Creating a Group Policy Central Store for Windows Vista and Server 2008 This suggests you can make the admx central store on 2003 and manage it using a newer client either 7 or vista.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 4, 2009 Posted September 4, 2009 oops, that's why I should have been in bed I meant to say that 2003 can't manage the new features directly.
gshaw Posted September 18, 2009 Posted September 18, 2009 So just to confirm... if I put a Windows 7 machine on the network as long as I use the GPMC on the Win7 machine a Server 2003 DC can distribute the GPOs and apply the new settings? If so Windows 7 is going in this IT Office very soon
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now