IanT Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 Hi Chaps, I've just been invited for a interview for a Network Manager at a new academy near me, now I hate interviews, any tips at all?
6Foot2 Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 For a recent interview I had to prepare a presentation on a topic provided by the academy I was hoping to work for. The presentation was to last half an hour and be followed by a formal interview. I had not presented to an interviewing panel before until now: Has the academy you are going for a job with made any 'unusual' requests? The answer to this might be useful in replying to your post?
IanT Posted August 19, 2009 Author Posted August 19, 2009 No odd requests, just I will be meeting the head then being interviewed by 2 people after.
6Foot2 Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 (edited) I also hate interviews [i equally dislike talking to groups in a formal setting (presentations)] so I feel your pain. Are you already a Network Manager? Running short of ideas here [as you can probably tell] but if you are already have experience of network management it would put you in a better position in their eyes] I guess the watch word here is prepare and try not to get too worked up. Sorry not that helpful. I will post again if I have any [more] ideas. Edited August 19, 2009 by 6Foot2
IanT Posted August 19, 2009 Author Posted August 19, 2009 I was a Network Manager 7 Months ago, went back to my old company due to family issues\closer to home (illness) now looking at going bk to the education sector. What I worry about is I think people think I look young which really anoyys me (im 24 btw) which leads onto them thinking I couldnt handle the job blah blah blah, my last school the asisstant head didnt want me as he thought the job was too much for me.......proved him and alot of other people wrong, thats the ONLY thing which is in the back of my head when I do these interviews at schools. Ian.
6Foot2 Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 All I would say is that I have found that school interviews are in some way easier than interviews for industrially based jobs. Again not much help I am afraid.
IanT Posted August 19, 2009 Author Posted August 19, 2009 I've noticed that yes, very true. I've just got my confirmation email!
GrumbleDook Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 If possible read up on the academy development plan, see what they have outlined for IT already and where there may be room for growth / development / innovation. Depending on the job description you can tie in awareness of the educational outputs of the services you will be delivering ... Good knowledge of the Harnessing Technologies agenda helps, as does things like FITS, project management and customer services. On the techie side of things look at things like expected up time, new courses coming up and how that changes what is needed and also how the Academy may or may not link in with other groups such as the LA or national groups and shared resources. Things that may come up ... Mobile learning VLEs Parental Engagement Security Costs eSafety Network reliability (actually meaning the network infrastructure, the servers, the desktops / laptops and any services that run across it all) Remote access
john Posted August 19, 2009 Posted August 19, 2009 What I worry about is I think people think I look young which really anoyys me (im 24 btw) which leads onto them thinking I couldnt handle the job blah blah blah, my last school the asisstant head didnt want me as he thought the job was too much for me.......proved him and alot of other people wrong, thats the ONLY thing which is in the back of my head when I do these interviews at schools. Ian. Don't worry about that if they are good people they will see through that, I was the youngest at my interview for my job and I got it, and if they are good people and when you show you are worth it they won't give a second worry. I am confident after a chat with the head today that they know and are happy about that with me now and have no worrys and they didn't have before so all should be good. They are not allowed to discriminate on age anyway as its against the law isn't it, fine its probably hard to prove it if you did a legal angle but I am sure they won't see that as a problem. Perhaps do like Webman does and grow an incredibly dodgy beard
IanT Posted August 19, 2009 Author Posted August 19, 2009 Other people get all the interviews... Sorry mate, I really dont know what too say, if I can be any help please let me know, look at your CV or something?
mossj Posted August 21, 2009 Posted August 21, 2009 If your young make an extra effort to be polite and watch your body language. Thanks to the media anyone under 25 is painted as a yob... and the interviewers may have this perception, if they do prove them wrong...
IanT Posted August 21, 2009 Author Posted August 21, 2009 Im 24 and i think im very mature (sometimes a moaning old git).
6Foot2 Posted August 21, 2009 Posted August 21, 2009 What I worry about is I think people think I look young which really annoys me (im 24 btw) which leads onto them thinking I couldnt handle the job blah blah blah... I am getting on for double your age and I think that my age is against me also. Perhaps we should both be a little more optimistic/positive?
IanT Posted August 21, 2009 Author Posted August 21, 2009 Very true, I should be thinking happy thoughts, good thoughts! positive!! I've been thinking all week what I will say to impress etc etc Monday is almost here
6Foot2 Posted August 22, 2009 Posted August 22, 2009 Best of luck for Monday. [i am still waiting for the result of my last interview]
IanT Posted August 24, 2009 Author Posted August 24, 2009 Hi Chaps, Went for the interview today.......................didnt get it better luck next time. I was abit turned off when I asked how the IT Structure was going to be................was told.........."over the next few years we will be centralizing the most of the servers"..............that put me off abit, less hands on work\technical work. Apart from that all else seemed okay but I wouldnt of taken the job. On to the next one!!
6Foot2 Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 You seem more upbeat than you might have been under these circumstances [if my reading of your latest post is correct] I did not get the job I went for recently either. I suppose I will write it down to experience and hope the experience serves me well in future. All the best.
IanT Posted August 24, 2009 Author Posted August 24, 2009 I cant get down about it really (as my other half said). Have to forget and move on, but I know I could of done the job. What job did you go for?
6Foot2 Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 ...What job did you go for?... ICT Manager at a new academy opening nearby soon.
IanT Posted August 24, 2009 Author Posted August 24, 2009 ICT Manager at a new academy opening nearby soon. ooooooooooooooo which one? (if you dont mind me asking)
6Foot2 Posted August 24, 2009 Posted August 24, 2009 ...which one? (if you dont mind me asking) I guess it can't do any harm now that I know I did not get the job: Francis Combe.
IanT Posted August 24, 2009 Author Posted August 24, 2009 Keep trying, I am. Did they give you any feedback from your interview?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now