ICT_GUY Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 (edited) GHOST SOLUTION SUITE 2.5 is what I have been given a quote for, and I am very unsure if its the right thing I am ordering. I want the same type of functionality as the Ghost cast server of old, also their is no media. Its from civica. Little help, plz. Edited July 7, 2009 by ZeroHour
localzuk Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Ghost Solution Suite is the name for Ghost, and all its new tools. It contains the old Ghostcast server of old, with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages), TFTP booting with relative ease, and a bunch of other stuff. 1
LansITGuy Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 We use Solution Suite 2.5 here. Everything works the same as the old Ghost Console and Ghost Cast Server. You don't get a CD. You'll be sent a link to a download website from your supplier. Hope that helps. 1
tmcd35 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 I like this new hot topic feature. @localzuk - you hit the submit button 1ms before I got there I had half typed the same answer 1
ICT_GUY Posted July 3, 2009 Author Posted July 3, 2009 Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software. I could try a warez site
tmcd35 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 I'm sure the boss at my last place got it from Misco. Came in a nice yellow box with Symantec written all over it
Geoff Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Cool, quick added question, where did you get the software from? Civica only supply the licences, said about downloading the software. I could try a warez site Can you not just download the demo/trial edition from symantec and pop the license key in to turn it into the full edition?
jamin100 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 with a lot of new features such as on the fly package distribution (if you can be bothered to spend hours crafting Ghost application packages) Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package. It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console.
tmcd35 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images. I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them. At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old. Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free.
DMcCoy Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images. I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them. At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old. Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free. You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license).
localzuk Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Doesnt take that long! - I use a virtual machine and go back to a clean snapshot after creating the application package. It only takes a little longer than installing the software really and it can then be pushed out very easily using the ghost console. Ah, but sometimes it doesn't work properly. I found it missing settings etc... which I then had to add manually. The actual Ghostcast server of old, and related components, don't actually need a license key. As far as I remember, the license key of for the new Ghost Console that allows you to centrally manage images and workstations and lets you remote deploy the images. I think you only need to buy workstation licenses if you are going to use the ghost console to manage them. At the last place we just used the Ghostcast component as it was used of old. Here, I've moved to Clonezilla which does the same job as Ghostcast but is free. No, you need a license for each machine you intend to push images to. Regardless of whether you use the server or not!
tmcd35 Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 You need a license for any machine you have *ever* used it on that has not 1) been destroyed (releasing the license) or 2) Wiped with the special Gdisk command (releasing the license). Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead). I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well...
DMcCoy Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 Wow - there's a licensing headache for the NM at my last school! You've just given me a very good reason to stick with Clonezilla here (or FOG for those that prefer that instead). I always thought buying Ghost Solution Suite once, without any workstation licenses, was overly expensive. To have to get all the workstation licenses as well... We recycle or wipe machines going out, yearly maintenance is less than £1 for each workstation, but adding any new licenses to the console is a pain. Fortunately we won't hit our 350 client limit as we have macs making up the total machine count.
ricki Posted July 3, 2009 Posted July 3, 2009 I got mine from Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 | Symantec | Products | ... discounted software for education establishments and I got a cd. Richard
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now