chrbb Posted July 9, 2006 Posted July 9, 2006 Hi To avoid employing someone to add more network sockets and lay cables to a room with not enough network points, what effect would it have on a switched network if I just used a 5 port switch at one of the current network sockets and ran 4 computers from it? Sorry prob really novice question but trying to do things on a budget and without the dreaded asbestos survey!
Ric_ Posted July 9, 2006 Posted July 9, 2006 It depends what you're doing with the points, the speed of the uplink and many more factors. I have a building with a multitude of departmenal offices in it. When it was built somebody thought it would be a good idea to put data points into the offices... one per office is just pointless though!!! I use netgear 8-port (the 4-port version costs about £1 less so just in case...) mini-switches in these so that I can use networked laser printers. Not a problem really... of course you loose the ability to to have multiple VLANs in that room unless you use 802.11q tagging. Anyway... I digress... you won't notice a huge difference in performance for your everyday tasks.
john Posted July 9, 2006 Posted July 9, 2006 Just make sure you use Switched rather than Hubs, Hubs are ancient technology and not worth it.
chrbb Posted July 9, 2006 Author Posted July 9, 2006 cheers for the prompt reply, the 5 0r 8! port switch will be used to add extra computers to the domain, just using basic software.
tickmike Posted July 10, 2006 Posted July 10, 2006 Hi. We only have 30 computers in the school and I only use 5 way, 8 way ,16 way, Net-lynx Switches . The 8 way is about £17 from our local electronics store. On each of the three classrooms we only have 7 computers but I have 8 spare ways Just in case we get some more computers donate. From Michael.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now