sidewinder Posted May 13, 2009 Posted May 13, 2009 Finally getting round to deploying USBDLM MSI works fine, it also picks up settings fine from an ini file. But it refuses to read anything in the registry I'm not even trying to integrate it in the MSI as of yet, literally just adding the reg file manually on a test machine. Ive used the sample one from the website and changed some settings but it just doesnt work at all. All registry entries are there as they should be, but no balloon tips come up, no drive exclusions etc, nothing I downloaded an MSI that was posted in the big thread about this program, and opened that in WinInstall to see the registry entries, and they are totally different?! So has the structure and way that the reg file works changed? Im using this one: REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\DriveLetters] "Letters"="X,Y,Z" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\ExcludedLetters] "Letters"="F,G" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Settings] "NoMediaNoLetter"="1" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Balloons] "Enabled"="1" "Timeout"="6000" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\OnArrival] "open"="explorer %root%" which is as the sample is off the website, but the part I looked at in the MSI had drive1=A, drive2=B etc etc Anyone got a working reg file? Im using version 4.3.0
Zoom7000 Posted May 13, 2009 Posted May 13, 2009 Why do you install it from an MSI? I just run a batch script to copy the files from the share to C:\Program Files\USBDLM (or wherever you choose) and then customise the settings from the ini file. Never touched the registry in relation to USBDLM.
sidewinder Posted May 13, 2009 Author Posted May 13, 2009 Why? Because an MSI is provided, and in that initial thread almost everyone was using it I like to try and standardise where possible. Only use batch files when theres no other solution And I would prefer to use registry settings (as the documentation says you can) just because it makes it (very marginally) quicker to update the settings if needed Mostly - just personal preference!
Zoom7000 Posted May 13, 2009 Posted May 13, 2009 Hmmm, I've obviously not looked at the home page for a while! Didn't notice the MSI. Oh well, this is probably a long shot and maybe not even necessary, but try using "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" as the reg file header as opposed to "REGEDIT4". I know they should both work, but I have had some really weird issues lately where it didn't like "REGEDIT4" - Long shot that it'll solve your problem, but worth a try, I guess.
Arthur Posted May 13, 2009 Posted May 13, 2009 Here are the registry settings we use for v4.3.0... Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\BalloonTips] "Enabled"="1" "Timeout"="6000" "ShowSize"="0" "Text_media"="media" "Text_and"="and" "Text_drives"="drives" "Text_partitions"="partitions" "SuppressWindowsBalloons"="0" "Text_mounted_to"="connected to" "RoundSize"="1" "ShowTrueCrypt"="1" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\DriveLetters1] "DriveType"="CDROM" "DeviceType"="U3" "Letter"="-" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\DriveLetters2] "DriveType"="REMOVABLE" "MaxVolumeSize"="15MB" "Letter"="-" "BusType"="USB" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\DriveLetters3] "Letters"="H,I,J,O,B" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\ExcludedLetters] "Letters"="K,L,M,N,P,Q,R,S,T,V,W,X" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Explorer1] "VolumeLabel"="-" "BusType"="USB" "DefaultLabel"="%FriendlyName%" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Explorer2] "VolumeLabel1"="CANON_DC" "DefaultIcon"="shell32.dll,194" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\OnArrival] "open"="explorer %root%" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\OnBalloonClick1] "open"="explorer %root%" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\OnBalloonRClick1] "open"="explorer %root%" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Settings] "NoMediaNoLetter"="1" "SetDeviceDesc"="2" "EventLog"="1" "DeviceDesc"="%FriendlyName% (%DiskSize%)" "FightU3Bug"="1" "DeleteMountPointsOnRemoval"="1" "ForceNoMediaNoLetter"="1"There are several different ways you can specify the drive letters in the registry or .ini file so both methods are technically correct. For example, you could use Letters="F,G,H" or Letter1="F", Letter2="G", Letter3="H". The help file explains it in more detail. 1
Arthur Posted May 13, 2009 Posted May 13, 2009 Also, since I like doing things the hard way, I created my own .msi using WiX. The .wxs file I use is shown below. Id="ServiceInstaller" Type="ownProcess" Vital="yes" Name="USBDLM" DisplayName="USBDLM" Description="USB Drive Letter Manager" Start="auto" Account="LocalSystem" ErrorControl="ignore" Interactive="yes"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> Action="createAndRemoveOnUninstall"> 1 1 http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html http://www.uwe-sieber.de/ http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
sidewinder Posted May 14, 2009 Author Posted May 14, 2009 Arthur - legend, thankyou, works a treat Zoom - Yeah I thought that looked a bit odd too, the regedit 4. Maybe that was soemthing to do with it.
box_l Posted October 18, 2010 Posted October 18, 2010 (edited) I edited the msi to contain the appropriate reg keys linky Edit with orca or similar, look under "property" Change values as desired. BoX Edited October 18, 2010 by box_l spelling
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now