Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Who's using Backup exec 12.5? We're currently using 11D but it seems that they have renamed the agents. We currently use Windows Remote Agent for two of our servers, the closest match i can find in 12.5 is Windows Systems Agent which seems to be £223.00 and includes Remote Agent for Windows Servers and the Continuous Protection Agent.

 

 

1. Is this how much the new agents are?

 

 

2. Also any of you using these agents to back up virtualized servers and is this the best way to backup virtualized servers?

 

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

We're using Symantec Backup Exec 12.0, that was purchased last summer along with a Dell TL2000 LTO4 Tape Library.

 

It worked out 'very cheap' (about <£300) when purchased with the Tape Library.

 

This gave us:

 

Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows (32bit/64bit)

Symantec Backup Exec Continuous Protection Server 12 for Windows (32bit/64bit)

Plus a 4x Remote Agents

 

All the above would have been alot more if purchased separately though.

Edited by MYK-IT
Posted

It wasn't cheap...

 

At the time i think the RRP was over £8.5k and we got it via the Dell Premier Site for under £4k.

 

That was for the lot though...the Tape Library, SAS Controller / Leads, Tapes and Backup Exec Software inc Agents with 5Y NBD Warranty. :)

 

Just had a look at the current spec / price on the (standard, non premier) Dell website and it's coming in over £11k! (and that's just for the drive). I've also noticed there's alot more backup software options...no wonder you're confused..:confused:

Posted

Damn when I saw £4k I was about to check the budget :) the agent options are a PITA it looks like they've rolled the remote agent in with another agent and are charging twice the price. I'll take another look when I get chance.

 

Cheers.

Posted
Damn when I saw £4k I was about to check the budget :) the agent options are a PITA it looks like they've rolled the remote agent in with another agent and are charging twice the price. I'll take another look when I get chance.

 

Cheers.

 

It's a pity you didn't get one when they were on offer last october £2,647! We bought 2 :p

 

If you are backing up VMs there are also several host level solutions for BE 12.5 (Hyper V, Xen and VMware). Although you need quite a number of VMs per machine to make it cost less.

Posted
If you are backing up VMs there are also several host level solutions for BE 12.5 (Hyper V, Xen and VMware). Although you need quite a number of VMs per machine to make it cost less.

 

We'll be using Xen i'm just wondering if all VM's will need a remote agent or if the media server can run in a VM and access a remote tape drive or IP disk shelf.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...