Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

Just did a migration from Server 2003 TS to Server 2008 TS on VMWare and all is good.

 

Called Micrsoft Clearing in order to move the 250 TS 2003 CALS that we have over to Server 2008 and this was all good.

 

Checked this evening only to find that none of the 150 CALs installed on server 2008 are available for use, it's complaining about Server 2008 CALs.

 

Am I not allowed to use my 2003 CALs on 2008 or have I missed something :drunken_smilie:

Posted
AFAIK, unfortunately not! New version of Windows = New CALS's I'm afraid! Just been looking into this myself and everything I find suggests you need Windows 2008 CAL's for Windows 2008.
Posted

So this begs to ask the question:

 

Why did Microsoft Clearing allow in the installation of the CALs on the new server since I told them it was a 2008 Server and would be the only TS server?

 

Makes no sense to me..... :eek:

Posted
Yup 2008 TS requires 2008 TS CALs, so if you want to re-use your 2003 CALs you need a 2003 Server to be your TS Box. Unless you had Software Assurance on your CALs then you need to talk to your licencing provider about obtaining the new codes for your CALs now they are 2008 ones.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...