Guest richard Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 Well, I have finally been told that I can migrate all the computers from Office 2000 to 2003 but I have only got 4 days to get this done. What I need is a nice simple way to do this done. I know I can ghost the machines apart from the laptops but I don't really want to do that unless I have too. In all I have nearly 300 machines to do. Any ideas?
NetworkGeezer Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 Active Directory managed software installation via GPO. Teacher laptops will be a problem. 4 days is not very realistic during term time. You should be able to stagger it if senior staff don't create lots of Publisher, PowerPoint or Access files.
plexer Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 Why only 4 days? seems a bit ridiculous. Target the machines that you have identified as needing to be done first. I don't see any reason to be in such a hurry to do it. http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/assistance/HA011402011033.aspx Make sure that you have it patched to service pack 2 before you deploy as we are all legally obliged to do this. Ben
tarquel Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 The best way would be to make a administrative point on the server, share it [hidden share if needed] and make a mst transform using the resource kit for office 2003. This will then allow you to populate the office setup as you want it, and can make things alot easier - especially if you then add it [as mentioned] as a Group Policy install. Also, in your case, you'll want to set when creating the transform, the option to remove previous versions of office - this will be your best migration and should set everything up nicely. If you need a hand with any of the above, just send me a message on msn - although I might not be able to chat until this evening. Regards Nath
Guest richard Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 The reason for the 4 days is that they want it done over the half term break. and means all desktop pc's and as many staff laptops as possible I have now been told.
john Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 Active Directory is your best friend, write a transform to remove Office 2000 and then get it to deploy 2003 instead and away you go.
Ric_ Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 I would go for the AD Software Installation Policy. A few reboots and the job will be done. In theory, you should be able to do it in one day, leaving time for testing.
Guest richard Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 I was thinking of using AD but I have never played around with transforms before.
ChrisH Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 How was it deployed in the first place? Was it part of the ghost image?
Ric_ Posted May 8, 2006 Posted May 8, 2006 @richard: Check out the MS Office Deployment Guide(s). These are VERY comprehensive and should help. There is also a resource kit tool that will create any transforms that you may need. BTW - Also grab the Office Tools For Education (or whatever they are called). These should make you look brilliant since there's buttons and clever things for all different subjects
Guest richard Posted May 9, 2006 Posted May 9, 2006 How was it deployed in the first place? Was it part of the ghost image? It was deployed originaly as part of a Ghost image to all the machines apart from the laptops.
ChrisH Posted May 9, 2006 Posted May 9, 2006 Can you not unistall 2000 from a startup scipt maybe specifying the packages GUId? Another thing I have done in the past is deploy 2000 through AD so it is managed then deploy 2003 and specify it as an upgrade. This means more time to load things on but it needs little interaction apart from rebooting machines.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now