Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
when a child brings in a computer game and say for instance the rating on the front says 16+ does that actually mean only 16 and above should play it or is that just a recommendation???
Posted

Its a sales rating, like films.

 

Shops cannot sell games 18+ to under 16s, but there is nothing to stop their parents from buying it and the children playing it (unless the parents have put an age restriction on the console).

Posted

There's two isn't there? You have the blue on in a hexagon or something and the red one in a circle - both come with games and can be different ie blue one might be 15+ but red might be 18.

 

I'm not too sure but I think the red one is the law - you can't sell this to someone under 18 whereas the blue one is a recommondation - this game is complicated and should only be played by over 15's?

 

Might be a million miles off with that though

Posted
Game ratings aren't legally enforceable other than at the point of sale. So as long as you aren't trying to flog copies of GTA IV at school to the new year sevens there's nothing legally to stop you.
Posted (edited)

The red circle is the BBFC age rating and is law, just like with films. Anything else is just a recommendation. There's a bit of a spat going on at the moment, with some software organisations saying PEGI ratings should be law, but they are set by the publishers themselves so not likely to happen.

 

Edit: playing some games and watching films in a public area without a licence is also against the law I believe, with large fines if caught (up to ~£60,000?)

Edited by Gerry
Posted

I thought the blue/red certs were ROI/UK (or vice versa). Certainly films that feature abortion/blasphemy etc get higher ratings in the ROI.

 

I would say that the child shouldn't really be allowed to play certificated games that they are not certified for, but I don't think that this would be a legal requirement. However, with duty of care and the possibility of younger children viewing the material it's better safe than sorry. I'd certainly get written parental consent before allowing anything.

Posted
I thought the blue/red certs were ROI/UK (or vice versa). Certainly films that feature abortion/blasphemy etc get higher ratings in the ROI.

 

I would say that the child shouldn't really be allowed to play certificated games that they are not certified for, but I don't think that this would be a legal requirement. However, with duty of care and the possibility of younger children viewing the material it's better safe than sorry. I'd certainly get written parental consent before allowing anything.

 

ye the duty of care bit was what i was mostly worried about. i guess the school should really draw up some kind of policy around this as when you say no we then get the blame and the most hated award.

Posted
Edit: playing some games and watching films in a public area without a licence is also against the law I believe, with large fines if caught (up to ~£60,000?)

 

This is something that has been covered numerous times in other posts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...