Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

external usb kit for sata and IDE devices ?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All

 

I have a SATA / IDE to USB kit and have attached a hard drive to the kit and then the usb cable to my Mac Pro ( using boot camp and windows xp ) windows xp detects 2 devices in device manager

 

unknown device

usb device

 

but I can't seem to get it to detect that there is a hard drive or to get it to use it as a disk drive device and even going into device manager and disk management ( it does not show up in there )

 

Any advice on what to do to get it to show up and working ?

Posted
How old was the drive, I have had issues with older drives not being detected proberly by USB interface devices. These work fine on standard IDE but have issues with the newer/less feature complete controllers included in the USB bridge devices.
Posted
The problem definitely looks driver related, hence the hard drive isn't displayed in Disk Management. If you try the external hard drive on another system, does it work ok?
Posted
I have a SATA / IDE to USB kit
Does it have a power supply, if so is the drive spinning up? It sounds like the adaptor is being partially detected but is not getting enough power.
Posted

the ide / sata kit I have has a mains power cable that converts it to the correct voltage for hard drives etc and then the ide / sata converts or goes to a usb cable which I plugged into the front of my mac pro and also tried it on a normal PC at the back ie the usb ports at the back both of which gave me 2 unknown devices as per the question

 

unknown device

usb device

 

both of these had a yellow exclamation mark and did not locate the driver.

 

I tried my kit with another old hard drive that I have and OS X 10.5.5 detected it and mounted the drive fine - I have not tried this with the other drive though as the data I needed retrieving was from another machine and I needed to alter the permissions and was not sure what it would do to the data as from what I understand the permissions that windows applies is different to os x 10.5.5 ( could be wrong ) but did not want to take any chances.

 

yes the drive does spin up and then after a while it spins down or stops spinning or w/e as obviously ( both windows on bootcamp and windows on the PC does not have the relevant drivers to install for the hard drive ( lets call this hard drive one ) and my hard drive that mounted fine on os x hard drive two mounted.

Posted
So from what you're saying, it does definitely appear to be driver related as the kit works with other systems. As a workaround, you could install it as a slave drive and copy data that way.
Posted

I did that last night as gave up trying to get the kit to work and yes when attached as a slave drive to the PC ( not my mac pro ) the hard drive worked fine.

 

Which is why I asked the question as I wanted to see if anyone could help me with the driver side of it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...